Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about trading but need opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 01:37 PM
14 King Ranch Black

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Thinking about trading but need opinions....

Hello Everyone. I’m thinking about trading my 2014 F-150 KR for a new 2020 KR and I need some opinions.

Some History first. I ordered the 2014 back in March 2014, it was built in April and I finally took delivery of it in early June. It sat for awhile on the lot at the plant in Kansas City due to rail delivery being backed up from the bad winter we had. Since taking delivery, I have loved the truck. I travel 9 states for my sales job and I’ve personally had the truck from North Dakota to Texas, UP of Michigan to Daytona Beach in FL and almost everywhere in between. It has always been my highway cruiser and never a “daily” driver. Since new, she had been Zaino’d monthly and always washed right away after every trip. Currently sitting at 94k miles and running like new. Last Fall I bought a car to drive for work so that has saved about 17k miles so far from being on the truck.

I also have a 2013 F-150 Limited that was purchased new by my father. Unfortunately, he died in a plane crash at the end of Dec 2016 so I bought it from his estate in the spring of 2017 just to hang onto. It only had 36k miles at that time, now has about 45k. I’ve made it my “toy” doing some mods to the Eco Boost, lowering etc. I store it in the winter and only drive in the summer. I plan to always hang onto it and someday give it to my kids.

As much as I love having almost matching trucks, I keep having the “itch” to get a new King Ranch. The problem is I’m a car hoarder, according to my wife. Most “normal” people trade or sell their vehicles when getting new but I tend to get attached and not want to sell. I have traded many but also have kept some. Normal people can’t understand this, but fellow “car people” know what I’m talking about. Whenever I think about selling my 14, I get a feeling of sadness. Lots of miles and good memories in the truck. Some of those miles with my dad riding along and complaining about the “damn loud exhaust”

I still have the Ford Premium Care ext warranty until June 20 or 125k. I’m thinking about running it until then and making a decision.

I keep telling myself a new KR won’t do anything better than this one but there’s always that “itch” to want something new.

What are your opinions? Who else has an attachment problem?

Thanks

January 2019

May 2019

June 2018

May 2019

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about trading but need opinions....-2v2emwmvgxqbh7.jpg  

Last edited by Spong; 07-09-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spong
Hello Everyone. I’m thinking about trading my 2014 F-150 KR for a new 2020 KR and I need some opinions.

Some History first. I ordered the 2014 back in March 2014, it was built in April and I finally took delivery of it in early June. It sat for awhile on the lot at the plant in Kansas City due to rail delivery being backed up from the bad winter we had. Since taking delivery, I have loved the truck. I travel 9 states for my sales job and I’ve personally had the truck from North Dakota to Texas, UP of Michigan to Daytona Beach in FL and almost everywhere in between. It has always been my highway cruiser and never a “daily” driver. Since new, she had been Zaino’d monthly and always washed right away after every trip. Currently sitting at 94k miles and running like new. Last Fall I bought a car to drive for work so that has saved about 17k miles so far from being on the truck.

I also have a 2013 F-150 Limited that was purchased new by my father. Unfortunately, he died in a plane crash at the end of Dec 2016 so I bought it from his estate in the spring of 2017 just to hang onto. It only had 36k miles at that time, now has about 45k. I’ve made it my “toy” doing some mods to the Eco Boost, lowering etc. I store it in the winter and only drive in the summer. I plan to always hang onto it and someday give it to my kids.

As much as I love having almost matching trucks, I keep having the “itch” to get a new King Ranch. The problem is I’m a car hoarder, according to my wife. Most “normal” people trade or sell their vehicles when getting new but I tend to get attached and not want to sell. I have traded many but also have kept some. Normal people can’t understand this, but fellow “car people” know what I’m talking about. Whenever I think about selling my 14, I get a feeling of sadness. Lots of miles and good memories in the truck. Some of those miles with my dad riding along and complaining about the “damn loud exhaust”

I still have the Ford Premium Care ext warranty until June 20 or 125k. I’m thinking about running it until then and making a decision.

I keep telling myself a new KR won’t do anything better than this one but there’s always that “itch” to want something new.

What are your opinions? Who else has an attachment problem?

Thanks

January 2019

May 2019

June 2018

May 2019

Can't speak for your attachment problems but the new king ranch will be a better highway cruiser, adaptive cruise control plus massaging seats definitely will allow you to drive for much longer without taking a break, not sure how big of a fuel tank your current truck has but 36 gallon fuel tank + 3.5 ecoboost equals a massive highway range at least for me, I can get 24-25 mpg when cruising at 75 but it's mostly flat land around here. Best of luck either way, keep in mind the 2021 model year will be a redesign.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

If looking at another 5.0, I'd keep the one you have.

If considering an EB, I'd make the change. The 10-speed is really dialed in now and there are significant improvements overall that have been made over the past 5 years. You'll have more safety equipment and a much faster truck (thanks to the 10-speed and aluminum body).

The fact that you have the '13 makes the change make even more sense. You'll still have one older steel truck.

Other option...hold for the redesign and pick up a '21. I'm sure there will be additional improvements. Not sure if the KR will be available though.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:00 PM
14 King Ranch Black

Originally Posted by 2pac
Can't speak for your attachment problems but the new king ranch will be a better highway cruiser, adaptive cruise control plus massaging seats definitely will allow you to drive for much longer without taking a break, not sure how big of a fuel tank your current truck has but 36 gallon fuel tank + 3.5 ecoboost equals a massive highway range at least for me, I can get 24-25 mpg when cruising at 75 but it's mostly flat land around here. Best of luck either way, keep in mind the 2021 model year will be a redesign.
Thanks. I actually have the adaptive cruise on my Chrysler 300 and I hate it! It came as part of the package or I wouldn't have gotten it. The new F-150 I've built up doesn't have that. I would most likely go with the 5.0 and 3.73s again. My truck came with the 36 gal tank standard but I guess it's an option on the newer ones.

What gears are you running? 2wd or 4wd? The best I've gotten with my truck was about 18.5 mpg.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:04 PM
14 King Ranch Black

Originally Posted by sholxgt
If looking at another 5.0, I'd keep the one you have.

If considering an EB, I'd make the change. The 10-speed is really dialed in now and there are significant improvements overall that have been made over the past 5 years. You'll have more safety equipment and a much faster truck (thanks to the 10-speed and aluminum body).

The fact that you have the '13 makes the change make even more sense. You'll still have one older steel truck.

Other option...hold for the redesign and pick up a '21. I'm sure there will be additional improvements. Not sure if the KR will be available though.
Is there a problem with the new 5.0's? I haven't driven one yet (purposely have stayed away) but I've heard they are even better power wise. I know the new EB's are more powerful too but I'm a V8 guy, so I will buy them as long as I can.

I purposely bought my 14 because of the coming changes in 15. I learned years ago to avoid the first couple years of a redesign to let the bugs get worked out. If 20 is the last year before a major change, then it would make me want the 20 more.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 530 Likes on 373 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-...440924/index2/

I started my truck shopping with the 5.0. After hearing a few that were brand new with bottom end ticks, I started researching and discovered what they call the "typewriter tick" on newer coyote's. Most are certain that it's piston slap and many have bore scoped the motor to find scuffed cylinder walls. That is what is leading to the oil consumption issue in the link I posted above.

19's are maybe doing better, but I wouldn't risk my $55k on a 5.0 at this time. As a matter of fact, I didn't. Bought a 3.5EB instead and added a tune. A good tune turns the 3.5EB into a beast. Nothing short of a $10k supercharger kit added to the 5.0 can compare.

If you are dead set against the EB, I'd wait till at least 2020 to see how the 5.0's are doing or just keep yours.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:22 PM
14 King Ranch Black

Originally Posted by sholxgt
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018-...440924/index2/

I started my truck shopping with the 5.0. After hearing a few that were brand new with bottom end ticks, I started researching and discovered what they call the "typewriter tick" on newer coyote's. Most are certain that it's piston slap and many have bore scoped the motor to find scuffed cylinder walls. That is what is leading to the oil consumption issue in the link I posted above.

19's are maybe doing better, but I wouldn't risk my $55k on a 5.0 at this time. As a matter of fact, I didn't. Bought a 3.5EB instead and added a tune. A good tune turns the 3.5EB into a beast. Nothing short of a $10k supercharger kit added to the 5.0 can compare.

If you are dead set against the EB, I'd wait till at least 2020 to see how the 5.0's are doing or just keep yours.
I literally just read that TSB post after responding! I wonder if they fixed the problem for 19 or not?

There's no doubt the 3.5EB is a faster truck but I'm more concerned with longevity. My EB, especially after I did the Stage 3 Motorsports Phase 5 kit back in 2017, is a blast to drive. I've got it tuned though for Premium fuel so that would get $$$ with the miles I drive.

I've looked at the Shelby trucks with the Supercharged 5.0s and they are beautiful but I would have to keep my old truck because I wouldn't want to drive the Shelby in the winter! That's something you southern boys don't have to worry about!

I recently met someone locally who bought some suspension parts I sold from the 13. He had a 13 Platinum 5.0 that was all original with 314k on it! I couldn't believe it. I should have taken a picture of the Odometer.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:30 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 339 Likes on 253 Posts

Why do you need more than one truck? I'd just keep the 2013, unload the rest. Use the money for something else like a car/bike/etc. I have a truck, a car, and a bike. I really wouldn't know what I'd do with 2 trucks............ Each of my vehicles has a purpose that doesn't overlap.

I bought my 2006 new, as you can see I have no need to get rid of it unless it's beyond economical repair. So far it's been solid at almost 190k miles and going.

Last edited by ReaperHWK; 07-10-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:14 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Spong
Thanks. I actually have the adaptive cruise on my Chrysler 300 and I hate it! It came as part of the package or I wouldn't have gotten it. The new F-150 I've built up doesn't have that. I would most likely go with the 5.0 and 3.73s again. My truck came with the 36 gal tank standard but I guess it's an option on the newer ones.

What gears are you running? 2wd or 4wd? The best I've gotten with my truck was about 18.5 mpg.
same issue here with the f150, no acc package equals no 360 degrees camera, 360 degrees camera is probably one of the most underrated features on this truck it helps in a myriad of situations, not to mention lane keep assist which gives you a little added boost when steering around sharp curves. Also the new acc system includes automatic emergency braking and pedestrian detection which works wonders for not only kids but have seen it first hand stop for a deer but the deer thing might be more of a hit or miss thing, definitely not a fan of fca's acc there's a big difference between it and what Ford has but honestly if you aren't going to change engines like the other guy said then wait for the new redesign model coming out next year and either save big off of a 2020 or get the latest and greatest.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 AM
14 King Ranch Black

Originally Posted by ReaperHWK
Why do you need more than one truck? I'd just keep the 2013, unload the rest. Use the money for something else like a car/bike/etc. I have a truck, a car, and a bike. I really wouldn't know what I'd do with 2 trucks............ Each of my vehicles has a purpose that doesn't overlap.

I bought my 2006 new, as you can see I have no need to get rid of it unless it's beyond economical repair. So far it's been solid at almost 190k miles and going.
Read my story above as to why I have 2 trucks. It's not about need really. The 14 is my "truck" for all practical purposes. It's the one that is always used for towing, hauling etc. I don't think twice about hooking up my car trailer and driving half way across the country with it. My concern comes with age and reliability even though it's running great now. The 13 is more of a toy that doesn't do real work and I want to keep it nice for many years.

I sold my 2002 Trans Am WS6 back in 2017. It had a whopping 4,588 miles on it! I plan to get more toys at some point but that's not relevant to the trucks so much.

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading but need opinions....