Technology Options for 2018 - Worth it? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Technology Options for 2018 - Worth it?

Old 01-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Default Technology Options for 2018 - Worth it?

I plan on ordering a new truck in the next few months. We have a vintage travel trailer and plan on touring the country.

There are a number of technology upgrades available for 2018. Being retired, things like BLIS, 360 camera, adaptive cruise and lane-keeper could be helpful.

Does anyone have a 2018 F150 Lariat with these features? Anyone towing a trailer and using this technology successfully?

Thanks for your input.

Bob
Old 01-06-2018, 10:08 AM

i have blis, love it. wish i had gotten a truck with the 360 camera.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Gone Golfin

Thanked 1,019 Times in 714 Posts

Folks will say they don't need all this new technology, they've been driving for 30 years and never needed it and don't need it now. While this may be true having all the latest and greatest makes driving/towing just that much easier and safer. Something that I think is lost in the conversation.

I have all the tech. except the backup trailer hookup (wasn't available on the '15) and IMO it absolutely makes towing safer IF you use it. I didn't say "become dependent on it" but as an extra layer of safety.

Yes, I use it and use it successfully. I wouldn't buy a truck without it.

Enjoy your tour of the Country!!
The Following User Says Thank You to idrive For This Useful Post:
redrock (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 05:09 PM

My 17 platinum has all that stuff and more. It is worth it and I use it while towing my 26' travel trailer.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve17platinum For This Useful Post:
redrock (01-06-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:17 PM

If you can afford it, it is worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to UncleG For This Useful Post:
redrock (01-07-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:06 PM

Thanked 1,068 Times in 873 Posts

I hate my truck, but love the 360* cameras! That and the Blis, auto High beams and LED lighting is what keeps it my truck. Now that I have had the LED and 360* cameras I cant see NOT having them in a truck. Use them all the time.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:57 AM

Was going to get a lariat, but decided to keep 7k in my pocket and put leather seats in my XLT. Wise move I think. All that other stuff is nice, but not needed. Power telescoping wheel? Set it once and forget it!
Old 01-08-2018, 02:42 AM

I have had a number of higher-line vehicles over the years. I personally like having a lot of bells & whistles. My Ď15 Explorer was the first with BLIS and I want it on all future vehicles. My Ď18 Lariat I ordered with everything except adaptive cruise. Not because I didnít want it, but because I donít use cruise control enough to make it worth the price. The 360į camera I thought was gimmicky when I first heard about them has turned out to be awesome, though in the snow & salt it is less helpful. But even having the front camera has turned out to be something I use every day. The lane assist I turned off and will probably never use. The one thing I still miss having from two of my older Acadians is the HUD display. Thatís a feature I wish all vehicles had.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mystic6 For This Useful Post:
redrock (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 06:28 AM

Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,708 Posts

Originally Posted by usaski1 View Post
Was going to get a lariat, but decided to keep 7k in my pocket and put leather seats in my XLT. Wise move I think. All that other stuff is nice, but not needed. Power telescoping wheel? Set it once and forget it!
So you have none of the safety features, and think the power telescoping wheel is one of them?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:55 AM

I tend to shy away alot of tech options on vehicles, not because I don't like them, but because usually they don't seem worth the additional price. About the only tech upgrades my 2012 XLT has are the lcd dash display, power seat/pedals, reverse sensors, and door keypad. That said, every time I get in and out of my truck several times to hook up to a trailer, I wish I had a backup camera. And we recently upgraded my wife to a 2016 Explorer Limited that was fairly well optioned. At first, I didn't care for the BLIS and missed not having a blind spot mirror like my truck. But once I got used to it (and drive in some traffic), I now like the BLIS. The front camera is very useful when parking or in tight spaces (like pulling into my garage).
The Following User Says Thank You to jp360cj For This Useful Post:
redrock (01-08-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Technology Options for 2018 - Worth it?

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: