Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping Into Fog Lights for LED Light Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tapping Into Fog Lights for LED Light Bar

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some assistance with tapping into my fog lights for installing a dual row 20 inch LED light bar. The specs are 40 3W LEDs and will have a light output of 7,000 lumens. I believe it has a 20 amp draw as it has a relay marking such. I have switched out my stock fog lights to led which draw less. I am looking into using a positap (scotch lock but better) to simplify and allow me to have them turn on with my fog lights. I see that the fog lights are connected to a control module and not a fuse. I don't want to overload the module and also ensure the wires can handle the draw. As a disclaimer I have done a search and haven't found anything.

Jon

Barricade HD Bull Bar
Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 PM

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by LoftyJon
Hey everyone,

I am looking for some assistance with tapping into my fog lights for installing a dual row 20 inch LED light bar. The specs are 40 3W LEDs and will have a light output of 7,000 lumens. I believe it has a 20 amp draw as it has a relay marking such. I have switched out my stock fog lights to led which draw less. I am looking into using a positap (scotch lock but better) to simplify and allow me to have them turn on with my fog lights. I see that the fog lights are connected to a control module and not a fuse. I don't want to overload the module and also ensure the wires can handle the draw. As a disclaimer I have done a search and haven't found anything.

Jon

Barricade HD Bull Bar
I would run the included relay harness for power then tap into the fog light harness for your 12v switched power (the 12v power source that tells the relay to close the circuit and power your lights).
Pulling power from the fog light harness may over power the circuit and cause issues down the line.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

W/V=A so the bar adds 10A nominal, probably a bit less. While using a relay is always preferable (and more work), if the difference in amps between halogen (supposedly) and LED fog lamps is in that neighborhood, you should be OK with a direct tap. (Disclaimer - I am not an electrical engineer.)
Old 04-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

So you plan on driving with the light bar on blinding oncoming traffic?
Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 AM

llangarica,

Thanks for the quick reply. So, I can just cut the supplied harness that has the switch and just use that wire to tap into the fog light and that should act as the switch?

Jon
Old 04-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Doyall,

Thank you, lol I'm no electrician either. I tried to make the conversion and thought it was 10 amp but was not sure what the module can handle as they are not marked. Thanks for your assistance.

Jon
Old 04-13-2019, 10:41 AM

RL1990,

Good job on jumping to conclusions. I'm going to let you in on some cool features on F150's and all other current motor vehicles. They have a factory switch which lets you turn the FOG lights on and off, ya I know really cool feature. Also, for jumping to conclusions and being helpful my setup also lets me adjust my light bar which I have angled down... One more little point if your not going to be helpful leave the trolling to reddit.

Jon
Old 04-13-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

RL1990,

Good job on jumping to conclusions. I'm going to let you in on some cool features on F150's and all other current motor vehicles. They have a factory switch which lets you turn the FOG lights on and off, ya I know really cool feature. Also, for jumping to conclusions and being helpful my setup also lets me adjust my light bar which I have angled down... One more little point if your not going to be helpful leave the trolling to reddit.

Jon
Hmmm from your original post and what you described you wanted to do - it, to me, seemed like a legitimate question. I too thought the same thing. Doesn’t make sense to do what you’re saying you’re doing only to have the light point down but that’s your prerogative. Fill your boots. There was no sarcasm or trolling in his post that I saw. Because you didn’t like his question you responded quite rudely. A simple answer like “I intend to aim the light downward so as not to blind on coming traffic” would have been suffice. I am sure RL1990 and I are not the only ones that thought the same thing. Other people may have been thinking of a similar mod as many do here with other mods. So complaining that his question wasn’t helpful - well your answer was the unhelpful one not his question. So go ahead blast me for being a troll and send me off to Reddit but remember when you point your finger at someone there’s 3 fingers pointing back at you.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:39 PM

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

llangarica,

Thanks for the quick reply. So, I can just cut the supplied harness that has the switch and just use that wire to tap into the fog light and that should act as the switch?

Jon
Correct.
The following users liked this post:
LANDON21AND1 (02-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Tapping Into Fog Lights for LED Light Bar