General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate seal

I have a bedrug and i am trying to seal up the truck. I will be caulking the seams in the bed soon but initially i tried to seal the tailgate with a tailgate seal. A few months later with only summer driving the seal has fallen half way off. Any ideas or suggestions to keep it on better? Or ways to seal it better then the tailgate seal?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't personally give you any recomendations seeing as that I only have a plastic liner, but out of curiousity, why do you want to seal your bed
?
Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Gearhead

Received 754 Likes on 434 Posts

You trying to make your truck into an Expedition? I have a Bed Rug and have no idea what you're trying to do.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Platinum Man Card

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

if you dont want to get your truck bed dirty and you bought a cap/tonneau for it plus a bed rug and wanting to seal it against the elements.....why didnt you buy a exploder or a expedition?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
You trying to make your truck into an Expedition? I have a Bed Rug and have no idea what you're trying to do.

Well for alot of reasons. I didnt want my cargo area to have a fixed roof over it, Suv's are priced higher then trucks, and the f150 has the new engine lineup. I want it sealed so that i dont get crap under the bedrug. If i had the cover open and crap got on the rug i dont care but i dont want dirt to get inbetween the rug and the paint. thats all....
Old 08-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Gearhead

Originally Posted by RiverRat5.0
Well for alot of reasons. I didnt want my cargo area to have a fixed roof over it, Suv's are priced higher then trucks, and the f150 has the new engine lineup. I want it sealed so that i dont get crap under the bedrug. If i had the cover open and crap got on the rug i dont care but i dont want dirt to get inbetween the rug and the paint. thats all....
I've had 3 Bed Rugs and took them out before getting rid of the truck and the beds looked new after all the velcro was removed. If all you are attempting to do is keep the bed clean, don't waste your time.
By the way, I never have them covered. No tonneaus or caps for me.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
I've had 3 Bed Rugs and took them out before getting rid of the truck and the beds looked new after all the velcro was removed. If all you are attempting to do is keep the bed clean, don't waste your time.
By the way, I never have them covered. No tonneaus or caps for me.
Did you clean them periodically? I am most concerned about road salt getting up behind it. That scares me for obvious reasons. Would cleaning it once a year in the spring take care of that?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Gearhead

Never took them out until I was selling the trucks. As long as you cleaned the areas where you put the velcro, it won't take long to take out, clean and put it back in. The thing that will take the longest is the 3-4 minutes to unbolt the tie downs.

No road salt here but we do deal with salt in the air from the ocean/gulf.

Last edited by Jus Cruisin; 08-29-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Tailgate seal