Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic vs Regular Oil Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Synthetic vs Regular Oil Worth It?

What's up guys? I haven't been on in a while and I have a question. I just took my wife's Mariner in for an oil change, and was asked (as per usual) if I'd like to use synthetic. Normally I just opt for plain old motor oil. I figure there are millions of high mileage vehicles on the road that have used it from the start so it should work fine for us.

The guy at the 'oil change shop' was really convincing some how about using synthetic, so I figured "what tha hey?" let's try it. After the oil change I was driving my wife's car back home analyzing the expensive decision, wondering if all the hype of synthetic is worth the extra $.

I just spent about an hour with google, and any info I can find is subjective at best. How do you guys feel about the whole thing? I typically have our oil changes around every 5,000 miles. I don't feel that every 3,000 miles is necessary with today's motor oil. Which do you guys use? and why?

If using synthetic means I can go 9,000 miles between oil changes and is still better for my engine, the choice is clear. But if the difference is negligible, well, I'd kinda like to know that too.

Thanks Guys
Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

First thing to keep in mind is if you're getting your oil changed at the dealership they use Semi-Synthetic Motorcraft oil by default (or they should be). That is a high quality oil that provides more than adequate protection for most people and their driving habits.

Synthetic is a better oil hands down. If you live in cold climates, it pours better, moves through a cold engine better and breaks down slower. Yes - you can extend your oil change intervals with it too, but keep in mind that I can technically drive 10,000 miles with Motorcraft oil before my change oil reminder comes on - so do I really need synthetic?

Another thing to remember is the oil filter - yes your oil may not break down as quickly, but your filter is still getting clogged with all the crap floating around your engine. A lot of the guys on the oil forums that are running extended change intervals are still spinning a new oil filter on half-way through to make sure that the craps gets OUT of their engines.

Long story short, unless you live in cold climates or just generally beat the absolute crap out of your engine, using the Motorcraft or any basic oil and changing it at a good interval will provide excellent protection to your engine.
The following users liked this post:
Logan24 (11-22-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Brianm825

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^^What he said. Well put^^^^^

If you're talking about your truck, Ford spec's a minimum semi-synthetic blend for the 2011+ engines, so start there at least. Whether you decide to go to full synthetic is up to you. I push my oil change intervals a little further than the old 3,000 mile school of thought (I'd be doing an oil change every 3 or 4 weeks) so I use full synthetic. I also use Napa Gold filters or the MotorCraft filter. These are quality built filters, that meet specific requirements that Ford has engineered for these engines, unlike some of the big name orange can piece-of-**** filters. The MotorCraft filters and US version of MotorCraft's semi and full synthetic oils are pretty highly regarded products. Lots of owners of non-Ford, high-performance vehicles swear by these MotorCraft products. If you're in Canada, the Canadian-blend MotorCraft oil is pretty pricey because its only available at the dealership, whereas in the US you can get it a Wally-World, big box stores, etc. I use Mobil1 full synthetic, and I just buy it when it's on sale at Canadian Tire. Usually around $45 CAD for full synthetic and a filter if you find it on sale.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the tips so far guys. Bump
Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Does your Mariner have the 4.6 engine? They usually start to develop problems around 350,000 miles or so.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM
LONE STAR

Received 629 Likes on 432 Posts

For me, synthetic is just a little added insurance. Well worth the extra cost
The following users liked this post:
bdtaylor1979 (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL
For me, synthetic is just a little added insurance. Well worth the extra cost
I agree .
Old 11-22-2012, 11:49 PM
TTV6>V8

Received 280 Likes on 194 Posts

I use AMSoil exclusively now. I live in Alberta where in the winter it gets down to -35 or colder and most spots where I park for work don't have plug ins.
I do, however, get a deal through a friend that works at a Jiffy Lube so it doesn't cost me too much extra.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 AM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by hm12460
Does your Mariner have the 4.6 engine? They usually start to develop problems around 350,000 miles or so.
If i ever have any engine that doesn't start to develop problems until 350k I'd be one happy camper!!

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs Regular Oil Worth It?