Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYNC MP3 Tag issues

Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SYNC MP3 Tag issues

I recently bought a new 2019 F150, of course, no CD player anymore, so I've been ripping my CDs (~600 albums) and fixing the tags on my MP3s so everything doesn't show up as "unknown". For the most part it seems to be working OK, but I've notice some peculiarites.
  1. I have an Artist: "S.O.D. (Stormtroopers of Death)" and for good measure, have Album Artist set the same. It comes up fine in VLC, iTunes, WMP, etc. In the truck, it comes up as "Stormtroopers of Death", no, "S.O.D." or brackets.
  2. In an attempt to group sountracks, I've set both Artist and Album Artist to "Soundtrack" and the Album to the movie title. "Soundtrack" doesn't show up in the artist list. Going to change to "Sound Tracks" to see if that works better.
  3. The sountrack for the movie Evil Dead 2 for some strange reason comes up as "Sneakers (Soundtrack)". No idea where the word Sneakers came from. Can't find it anywhere in the tag with MP3TAG and I don't have the sountrack for the movie Sneakers and the word doesn't appear anywhere in the file names anywhere on the USB key.
The tags all show up as ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3). This is using a USB key. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 AM

Alright, changing the Artist/Album Artist fixed the grouping issue, so now "Sound Tracks" show up in my Artists list, but I still get an artist for "Sneakers (Soundtrack)", but now it's with Gladiator, not Evil Dead II. ""S.O.D. (Stormtroopers of Death)" still shows up as "Stormtroopers of Death" as well. I can only assume there is a bug in the indexer.

Last edited by Rob Campbell; 04-11-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:21 PM

And the weirdness continues.

It also seems to play in alphabetical order, but necessarily not all the time, so I set up a couple tests. One with a playlist and another with adding a number prefix to the Title and I compare against the index results.

Another weird one. Albums with multiple disks.

D:\-=Heavy=-\Slayer\1991-Decade of Aggression [Disk 1]
D:\-=Heavy=-\Slayer\1991-Decade of Aggression [Disk 2]

Album tags are as such:
Artist: Slayer
Album Artist: Slayer
Album: Decade of Aggression
Disk 1: Tracks 1-11
Disk 2: Tracks 1-10

In the truck, if I browse to Slayer, in the albums, I see *"Decade of Aggression [Disk 2]"*. The date prefix stripped off, but it kept the Disk 2 postfix. All 21 tracks are there, BUT, with the first track of disk 2 (201 - Hallowed Point.mp3) first on the list. So it seems to be doing some bazaar combination of reading the tags and physical locations.

Another one...I have both Babymetal albums. They are both tagged as such:

Artist: Babymetal
Album Artist: Babymetal
Album: Babymetal

Artist: Babymetal
Album Artist: Babymetal
Album: Metal Resistance

In the Artists list in the truck, it shows up as all upper case, *"BABYMETAL"* and I have no good explanation for that. One of the paths was all upper case at one point, but I've fixed that. It must be caching something and not clearing it between indexer runs.

If it's not going to read standard tags, like Track Number, what's a point of indexing it at all? It take something like 15 minutes every time I plug it in.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:32 AM

It appears it was Gracenote causing most of the issues. Disabling it fixed everything, with the exception of Gladiator not grouping properly with the other soundtrack. Not sure what that's all about. Maybe a corrupt tag. I'll try removing them all and readding them.

Edit:
The Gladiator issue appears to have been a corrupt tag. Redoing the tags seems to have resolved the issue. With that, all of the above issues appear to be resolved, though more thorough testing is required to make sure things like playing in the correct album order are actually working properly now. I'm not sure what Gracenote was doing. Perhaps it's just not well supported in Canada. Perhaps I'm just too picky and want the player to do unrealistic things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SYNC MP3 Tag issues