General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swirls in new truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Swirls in new truck

Quick question for you guys. I am a week old owner of a new 2017 F150 xlt 4x4 sport. When I purchased the truck it was evening time so it was hard to see any imperfections. Well a couple days later after looking at the truck in direct sunlight I am noticing swirl marks in the paint. The truck is shadow black. I know It’s going to happen but it should be this quickly or why would it already have it? I told The dealer and the buffed it and it helped ALOT but it’s still there if you look hard enough. What should my nex approach be? They said they would re buff again but I’m not sure if it will do it
Old 11-15-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The paint and build quality on the newer aluminum body trucks that I've seen, including my own 2017 Lariat FX4 SCREW, is pretty bad. I've got mis-aligned body parts and paint flecking off the leading edge of the hood. I complained to the body shop at my dealer and the manager took me out to the parking lot and showed me all kinds of similar build quality issues on new trucks waiting to be sold. Beds not mounted straight, door gaps not consistent, and paint quality problems.

So far, this is the thing I'm least happy with on my truck.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by flywithgz
The paint and build quality on the newer aluminum body trucks that I've seen, including my own 2017 Lariat FX4 SCREW, is pretty bad. I've got mis-aligned body parts and paint flecking off the leading edge of the hood. I complained to the body shop at my dealer and the manager took me out to the parking lot and showed me all kinds of similar build quality issues on new trucks waiting to be sold. Beds not mounted straight, door gaps not consistent, and paint quality problems.

So far, this is the thing I'm least happy with on my truck.
Quality decreasing, price increasing.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:28 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,667 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Swirls are from the idiot that prepped the truck. They can easily be buffed out but do yourself a favor. Do not let the dealer do it. Even if they have a body shop. Mine has been painted 3 times. Dealer tried buffing out swirls they did at prep.... that lead to paint jobs. The first two they messed up as well so I took it to my own shop at dealers expense to have it done right. Turned out good as new!
Old 11-16-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

Mudder speaks the truth. These are DIS - Dealer Installed Swirls. Last year I bought a '17 Explorer brand new and the salesman apologized that they "didn't even have time to wash it" when I picked it up. I told him that was okay, I'd prefer they didn't as I'm pretty particular with my vehicles and their finishes.

He picked it up 2 weeks later for some minor fixes and told me upon returning it "I see what you mean."

If you're into it, go to autogeek.net and check out some of their "how-to" videos. You can take care of it yourself (but you might get addicted to it - ask me how I know!) Or, as Mudder said, find a shop with good references and have them do it.

Exhibit "A" regarding dealer prep. My niece got her first job ever at age 16 a few years ago as a "hydro-technician" at a dealership - washing new vehicles. She'd never washed a car before in her entire life.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by USFbulls44
Quick question for you guys. I am a week old owner of a new 2017 F150 xlt 4x4 sport. When I purchased the truck it was evening time so it was hard to see any imperfections. Well a couple days later after looking at the truck in direct sunlight I am noticing swirl marks in the paint. The truck is shadow black. I know It’s going to happen but it should be this quickly or why would it already have it? I told The dealer and the buffed it and it helped ALOT but it’s still there if you look hard enough. What should my nex approach be? They said they would re buff again but I’m not sure if it will do it
swirls come from improper washing and drying. you need to have the truck properly washed, using the 2 bucket method (google it), clay it to remove contamination and rail dust fromt he finish, then buff the truck out and lastly apply a good wax and sealant or ceramic coating. use the two bucket method and a foam gun/cannon to wash the truck from there on out. drying the truck with a blower will also help, the less you touch the paint with anything (aside from waxing every few months, if you go that route over the coating), the better.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Speaking of swirls...quick question - In cold winter climates, it's way too cold most days to wash the truck in the driveway. I would never run my truck through a wash with the brushes, but would it be considered "acceptable" to run through a touchless wash, and wave off the drying guys (with their towels), and just touch up/dry at home in the garage?

If not, what do you cold-climate guys do to keep your trucks clean when it's really cold out?
Thanks!

p.s. Moving to a warm climate isn't the answer - at least not yet!
Old 11-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by WestOGuy
I would never run my truck through a wash with the brushes, but would it be considered "acceptable" to run through a touchless wash, and wave off the drying guys (with their towels), and just touch up/dry at home in the garage?
they will strip wax because of the strength of the detergents they use, if you have ceramic pro, its supposed to be durable enough to withstand it.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paint quality on these trucks is terrible. I bought my truck in Mid February 2017 and have had the roof repainted 5 times. No joke
Old 11-16-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Exactly why I won't buy black