Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Feels Soft/Wobbly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Feels Soft/Wobbly?

Hey everyone!

First post here, and I'm hoping I'm posting in the right area. Long story short, I recently picked up a 2016 4WD XLT 2.7 Super-crew and I've been loving it so far. However, I realized that when the truck is at a red light waiting to turn while the other lanes are cleared to go straight, I can feel the cab wiggle side to side slightly from the wind. Additionally, I feel that just by moving myself around on the seat, or just simply pushing the truck outside with my hands will easy make it move a LOT. It just doesn't feel as sturdy, or firm, as other trucks I've been in. This is the newest vehicle I've ever owned, and I know its all mainly aluminum so its going to be significantly lighter.

Is this a common thing, or is it worth getting looked into? Truck still has factory warranty, so I'm trying to get everything sorted out before it runs out. Additionally, is there any other things I should check into before the warranty expires? TIA!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

How many miles on it?
Old 07-18-2018, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
How many miles on it?
Roughly 18K
Old 07-18-2018, 07:50 PM

Well yeah the aluminum body is the major impactor considering the mileage but consider this, my truck had about 5k miles on it and one of my rear shocks was leaking, only noticed it when I was removing them for a lift kit install. Another thing to check, and it may sound silly. Air pressure in the tires, if you have a low profile sidewall it'll stiffen things up, a larger sidewall tire will give like jello so to speak unless they are LT rated.
The following users liked this post:
Snippy (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

I will agree with checking the tire air pressure. Also, some of these trucks come with very soft tires - it makes it ride nicer during test drives. I just bought an off-lease 2015 which still has the factory Goodyear car tires on it - mushy!
The following users liked this post:
Snippy (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Well yeah the aluminum body is the major impactor considering the mileage but consider this, my truck had about 5k miles on it and one of my rear shocks was leaking, only noticed it when I was removing them for a lift kit install. Another thing to check, and it may sound silly. Air pressure in the tires, if you have a low profile sidewall it'll stiffen things up, a larger sidewall tire will give like jello so to speak unless they are LT rated.
Good to know, thank you! My question is, since I really don't know who else to ask, if you sit in your truck and wiggle yourself (ignoring how silly it sounds) does it sway side to side a lot? I understand some movement is easy, but I feel like I can just easily make my truck rock from side to side.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Snippy
Good to know, thank you! My question is, since I really don't know who else to ask, if you sit in your truck and wiggle yourself (ignoring how silly it sounds) does it sway side to side a lot? I understand some movement is easy, but I feel like I can just easily make my truck rock from side to side.
Your question(s) are subjective.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:53 AM

Received 1,284 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't think you have a problem. Any truck has a lot more surface area and is far less aerodynamic than a car. If I'm sitting in a turn lane trying to make a left turn any traffic going by creates a vacuum and my trucks will lean toward that side after they pass. The faster they are moving, and the bigger the vehicle the more the truck moves. It doesn't matter if it is oncoming traffic or traffic passing on my right. It is much less noticeable in my Honda because of the aerodynamics.

You also have a light duty truck 4X4 truck. Compared to the Ford Super Duty your suspension is a lot softer to give a very car like ride. And being a 4X4 the suspension is tuned for off road driving which means softer. A stiff suspension on a truck tuned for heavy hauling/towing will not allow the suspension to move enough to keep the wheels firmly on the ground on uneven terrain. The tires will literally bounce like a basketball over washboard surfaces and when crossing deeper ruts etc one of the tires will often be several inches off the ground. A softer suspension will do a better job of keeping the tires on the ground, and that improves traction off road.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Snippy
Yes mine does the same although a lot less since upgrading the shocks and struts to Fox. The OEM suspension is too soft especially for the rear.

Quick Reply: Suspension Feels Soft/Wobbly?