Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercrew rear seat belt with 3 passengers questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Supercrew rear seat belt with 3 passengers questions

Hello,

We have a 2018 Ford F150 Supercrew. We have 3 kids that often ride in the back. On the larger seat in the rear, it appears the seat belts (lap level) are linked such that if one kid moves it will tighten the other person's in the process. They fasten their own individual belts, but we have clearly seen if one moves it will tighten the lap part of the other person's.

Is this normal?

It seems like a design flaw and could possibly be a problem in the event of an accident.

Is there a way around this? It would help solve some complaining from our kids.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:16 AM

Can someone help me out with this and let me know if this is normal behavior? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

i don't see how that is even possible. The belts are all individual and not tied together. The only thing tied together is the buckles and they are just on a shared bracket
Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
i don't see how that is even possible. The belts are all individual and not tied together. The only thing tied together is the buckles and they are just on a shared bracket
Thanks for the response.

I have to admit I agree--I didn't see how it was possible. I told my wife and my kids they were crazy. So I watched them and it is definitely a thing. Then I sat back there with one of my kids and had them move around. I could feel the lap part of mine get tighter. Frustrating as hell.

I have a dealer visit tomorrow for some other warranty items and I guess I will ask them to check it out. I don't understand if something maybe got twisted.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

It is normal.

The shoulder strap for the middle seat is sewn to the buckle strap of the seat behind the driver.
Look and you will see it is lightly sewn to keep things organized.

So, yes, there is the slightest interaction between the lap section of the drivers side rear belt and the lap section (once stretched across) of the middle seat.

Pic of where they are connected is below....I put a red dot where they are tacked together with thread. Check it out...

The following users liked this post:
ramblinmanva (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
It is normal.

The shoulder strap for the middle seat is sewn to the buckle strap of the seat behind the driver.
Look and you will see it is lightly sewn to keep things organized.

So, yes, there is the slightest interaction between the lap section of the drivers side rear belt and the lap section (once stretched across) of the middle seat.

Pic of where they are connected is below....I put a red dot where they are tacked together with thread. Check it out...

Thanks for the info including the pic. I will check this out more tonight/this weekend. I'm wondering if it's possible to un-thread it with no harm done. My kids are acting like it is WWIII because of the design. Ha.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:34 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

The stitching shouldn't be the actual mount for the shoulder section, but may have been added to keep the buckle from falling under the seat or slipping down. I would confirm there is proper mounting of the shoulder section (individually bolted to the frame) and carefully cut the "courtesy" stitching without harming the nylon webbing.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by ramblinmanva
Thanks for the info including the pic. I will check this out more tonight/this weekend. I'm wondering if it's possible to un-thread it with no harm done. My kids are acting like it is WWIII because of the design. Ha.
You can definitely unbind them, but it might cause that buckle to fall through the seat when you raise it. That's why I'm guessing it is there.
It would eliminate the interaction between the two sides. See pic....I tried to light it up for you to see where they attach under the seat.
I put a box under it so you see them and where they are anchored better.

Quick Reply: Supercrew rear seat belt with 3 passengers questions