General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for best dual exhaust upgrade for 2016 3.5 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suggestions for best dual exhaust upgrade for 2016 3.5 Ecoboost

I'm considering upgrading my exhaust on my 2016 FX4 3.5 ecoboost for a little more robust sounding exhaust and any performance I might gain. Any suggestions based on experience??
Old 09-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

I would check out some of Borla's offerings. They have some good sounding cat backs for the 3.5 EB

Also, brace yourself for the incoming "YOU WILL NEVER SOUND LIKE A V8" posts... some children think that it needs to sound like a V8 for it to sound good.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

FWIW

I am not aware of any dual exhaust set ups for an ecoboost.

Dual tailpipes perhaps but not a dual exhaust. That would need to be custom built and require some fabrication.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

eh SI/DO. True dual exhaust is not necessary, I think most are just after the look and sound anyway lol
Old 09-29-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Borla now has a complete turbo upgrade and exhaust kit for the EB. Dyno gains of 83HP at the rear wheels.
https://www.borla.com/products/f150_...t__251006.html

And yes, it is a dual cat back system.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Originally Posted by acdii
Borla now has a complete turbo upgrade and exhaust kit for the EB. Dyno gains of 83HP at the rear wheels.
https://www.borla.com/products/f150_...t__251006.html

And yes, it is a dual cat back system.
Woah good fine! Unfortunately that 83HP gains number is bleh and a half seeing as that's with the hardware AND the 5* tune. Plus 5* fluffs their numbers from what I have heard from about every single one of their customers. MPT can pull better numbers without any of these hardware upgrades and for about $4k less.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:52 AM

All Girls Garage had this on their show last week. They ran the truck stock on the dyno and got 301HP, then installed everything and tested it again, so it is a confirmed 83 HP gain. It pulled 384 at the rear wheels.

I use 5* tunes, and they do increase performance, though the difference between the 87 tune and the 91 tune is whatever the cost of gas is. MPG is about the same, and overall performance is too.

That is a nice package, and with some tweaking, that kit could easily push past an additional 100 at the wheels.

But, if you want a true cat back dual exhaust, that is the one to get.

One HUGE thing not covered when upgrading the turbos, how do you eliminate the heat? When I pulled my trailer through the Rockies with the 5* 91 tune installed, I pulled like a raped ape, but quickly heated up and went into limp mode. Sure puts out a ton of power, but it can't eliminate the added heat, which makes me wonder how the hell Ford ran their tests with cherry red turbos and not overheat.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:58 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

All Girls Garage had this on their show last week. They ran the truck stock on the dyno and got 301HP, then installed everything and tested it again, so it is a confirmed 83 HP gain. It pulled 384 at the rear wheels.

I use 5* tunes, and they do increase performance, though the difference between the 87 tune and the 91 tune is whatever the cost of gas is. MPG is about the same, and overall performance is too.

That is a nice package, and with some tweaking, that kit could easily push past an additional 100 at the wheels.

One HUGE thing not covered when upgrading the turbos, how do you eliminate the heat? When I pulled my trailer through the Rockies with the 5* 91 tune installed, I pulled like a raped ape, but quickly heated up and went into limp mode. Sure puts out a ton of power, but it can't eliminate the added heat, which makes me wonder how the hell Ford ran their tests with cherry red turbos and not overheat.
Oh nice! But I've heard it said by a few of the tuners that the stock turbos are quite nice as is. If I were doing it (and if I had a 3.5) I would buy the exhaust only, keep stock turbos, maybe upgrade CAI, and then grab an MPT PRX tune. It would be much much cheaper and give much better results.

Yeah I do remember your post about that. Use my dads 3.5 all the time, pull a fairly large boat with it but cant say we've had it up in the Rockys.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I am not familiar with the 5* tunes for ecoboost but most tunes state to not tow in the performance (needing high octane fuel) modes. This may be part of your issue. One of the ways they increase performance is by increased timing. Increasing timing also creates more internal cylinder heat. This is not conducive to high loads, like towing in the mountains.

This is the reason most tuners have a "Towing" mode on them.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:59 PM

Well, on the return trip with stock tune it got close to overheating, but I was already aware of it overheating so kept it under control. It happened on my way up the first time without me realizing it. Had the cruise set and it was just going up like an elevator, and then DING! dash lights up, reduce speed!!!! Overheating!!! Oh s***.

The new Borla turbos incorporate a new impeller on the intake side, but all else remains the same, so I also don't really see a need to go through all that expense and time and effort to replace them. Now if there was a "Wicked Wheel" upgrade, where you replace the impeller with one that kicked royal butt in the Powerstrokes, I can see that being a viable reason to pull the turbos, and much less cost involved. The great unknown is what seals would need to be replaced when you open the turbo up and how hard are they to obtain, since the turbos are water cooled.

Oh one other thing, the 5* tune is a Perf/Tow tune, which is why I was running it. Once I got out of the mountains I switched back to the 87 Per/Tow from stock. Makes a big difference in towing ability with the tune over stock, but pulling through mountains, you have to be very vigilant on watching the temp gauge and not push it too hard. It will pull in a higher gear than it should so you need to lock them out as well.

Last edited by acdii; 09-29-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for best dual exhaust upgrade for 2016 3.5 Ecoboost