Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer Hum - 2004 SCrew

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Hum - 2004 SCrew

All,

I've got a weird problem...Occasionally I'll hit a bump in the road, and my subwoofer starts to hum! Pretty loud - very annoying! Factory sub...

I'll hit another bump, and it goes away! Then comes back, etc.

I think it's a wiring deal - but I have NO clue where to look! I've taken the subwoofer out, put it back and made sure the connections are good. Still have the problem.

Do I just need to get a replacement woofer? Or is there a wire that I need to look to secure? Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-24-2014, 05:56 PM
OUTDRSMN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisclang
All,

I've got a weird problem...Occasionally I'll hit a bump in the road, and my subwoofer starts to hum! Pretty loud - very annoying! Factory sub...

I'll hit another bump, and it goes away! Then comes back, etc.

I think it's a wiring deal - but I have NO clue where to look! I've taken the subwoofer out, put it back and made sure the connections are good. Still have the problem.

Do I just need to get a replacement woofer? Or is there a wire that I need to look to secure? Any help is appreciated!
I too lost my sub in my old 2004 supercrew. BUT mine did not hum, It sounded loose/busted. Not sure what the problem was but to go to a shop and buy a replacement was not cheap if at all even possible. After doing some research it was an 8 inch sub, but a special type of sub that no local auto stereo shop could even get. I learned that they(Ford) put this in other vehicles as well including their Escape. I believe the system was called Audiophile. I got a whole sub enclosure including speaker on Ebay very cheap that was for the Escape, removed the sub and it plugged right into my sub box and Viola! May want to look at that route. Good Luck

Last edited by OUTDRSMN; 03-24-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: add year of truck
Old 03-24-2014, 06:44 PM

Thanks - I've seen some of those out there. Did the unit you bought bolt into the existing brackets that holds the factory sub?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:11 AM
OUTDRSMN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. I bought the entire unit from ebay (the enclosure with the sub) and once I got the unit I removed the sub and it bolted directly into the sub enclosure from my F150. I cant remember the specifics but like I mentioned before, that particular speaker was different than a standard sub. I think it was a "dual voice coil" or something to that nature which basically was not available in an aftermarket speaker at the stereo dealers in my area.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

it sounds like you might have a bare ground wire somewhere in your system , over the years of rubbing it could have worn a tiny spot through the insulation on the wire so when you hit a bump sometimes it hits that spot you hear it hum, then when you hit another bump it falls away from it and so on. Just from past experience 9 times out of 10 any hum in a speaker has been from a bad ground. just an idea for you
Old 03-26-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by 1sikFX4
it sounds like you might have a bare ground wire somewhere in your system , over the years of rubbing it could have worn a tiny spot through the insulation on the wire so when you hit a bump sometimes it hits that spot you hear it hum, then when you hit another bump it falls away from it and so on. Just from past experience 9 times out of 10 any hum in a speaker has been from a bad ground. just an idea for you
Yeah - this is what I'm thinking too...but any ideas on where to first look? I pulled up my floor covers where the wiring feeds through, and also looked hard at the connection to the sub. Am I going to have to look behind the nav unit?

Thanks for this suggestion...
Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

id check the speaker connection first then try to follow it along the harness as best you can. it honestly sounds like a loose ground connection.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer Hum - 2004 SCrew