General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still new trying to figure this all out

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default still new trying to figure this all out

I called a Ford Dealer this morning and gave the guy working the parts department my VIN and asked him if he could tell me what gear ratio I have in my truck. When I bought the truck I got it from a car lot hear in town that got it from auction near Detroit. (That's the nice thing about living here in MI, lots of Ford Employee lease plan vehicles laying around with low miles) The car lot owner didn't know specifics on what packages are installed on the truck other than the obvious ones you can see. Anyway my reason for inquiring about the gear ratio is that I wanted to determine how much I can tow. The Ford Dealer that I called said that I have the 3.55/1 ratio in my truck. Then he went on to say that he sees the base payload package listed but also see the heavy duty trans cooler and the heavy duty shocks. Are the trailer tow package (with the hitch, od override, and transcooler) packages and the payload packages two different things or is this one of those deals where the standard equipment is listed on one side of the sticker, then upgrades are listed on the other? Based on the grear ratio, 18" tires and the towing package, the truck is a screw with 5 1/2' bed, I can tow about 8000LBS. Would you say that is about right? Sorry to be long winded but I want to make sure I understand this before I hook a trailer up and take the 7 hour trip to deer camp next weekend.

John
Old 08-12-2008, 11:36 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

if you have the hitch with the 4 and 7 pin connectors, you have the trailer tow package and yes you can tow 8000lbs. My 6.5ft bed supercab can two 8900lb
Old 08-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look on the inside of the drivers side door where it says axle. Here is what the code means.

19 — 3.55 non-limited slip — F-150
25 — 4.10 non-limited slip — F-150
26 — 3.73 non-limited slip — F-150/Mark LT
27 — 3.31 non-limited slip — F-150
B5 — 4.10 limited slip — F-150
B6 — 3.73 limited slip — F-150/Mark LT
H9 — 3.55 limited slip — F-150
Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 PM

It says H9...thanks for the info on that. Where did you find the source for those codes. I noticed there are other codes on the sticker you referenced that I might want to desifer at some point.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I collect a lot of data from another site I frequent, for passing on thru other sites and for my own reference/knowledge. Depends on what you need and whether I have it or need to query it from some of my pals. Many are Ford Techs, work directly for Ford (assembly and such) or are your typical back yard mechanic.

EDIT: Do you have the 4.6L or 5.4L? Seems I could have swore the 5.4L in the '06 models always came with the 26 or B6 (3.73). Guess I was mislead somewhere down the line.

EDIT2: Just checked your gallery. When getting my '06, it was between the Dark Grey like yours and the Silver that I purchased. Both had the chrome pkg. Opted for the Silver since I was tired of keeping dark color vehicles clean.

Last edited by MHC-F150; 08-12-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:12 PM

MHC - I just upgraded my signature to include more info on the truck. To answer your question it is the 5.4L Funny you should mention your color choice, every once in awhile I would see a truck driving around that I liked the color but couldn't quite discribe. Since I am somewhat color blind everytime I would tell my wife about it she would say it must have been green or black. I almost bought a silver truck very similar to yours but then at the last second I saw this one on one of the used car web sights less than 20 minutes from my house. Drove to the lot that night with my wife said "see there's the color" and purchased the truck. I really like the way the silver looks with the chrome package but in the end I decided on this one mostly because it's more rare, at lease where I live.

I don't own a trailer myself but will be pulling a mix of things. Everything from a homemade log splitter to my dad's horse trailer. Generally speaking is the 3.25" drop hitch from Reese a good choice for a 4X4 f150 or is the 2" better. I know it depends on the trailer but like I said I will be pulling a few different things through the year, non of which I have right on hand to measure. Thanks everyone for your help

Quick Reply: still new trying to figure this all out