Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter, Flywheel or Pinion Gear?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 AM
D Best

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Starter, Flywheel or Pinion Gear?

Ok I posted an earlier post so I will tell you what I got.

My F150 V8 5.4 Ford King Ranch has been making a horrible noise for over six months when I crak it. Not every time but it progressivly got worse. It use to be only like once a week then it got to be every other time I cranked my truck. It sounds like a bunch of bolts in a blender like eeennnnk, Well figured it was the starter. went to advanced auto and got a rebuilt starter, my boyfriend installed it. he is not a mechanic but he works on big engines alot and boat motors and etc. Anyway it fixed the problem for about 2 weeks then I heard that noise once or twice. Now it is starting to do it again , last night 2 times in a row. No he thinks I might have to get a new flywheel. He thinks that maybe the starter was bad for so long that it damaged the flywheel teeth. I went back to Advanced and talked to a guy. He said I had a lifetime warranty on that starter, he did a systems chedk, checked my battery and said he checked the starter and all was good. Now I am not sure how he checked the starter he was using a devise under my hood, he never got under the truck It was a sytems test. Now I have had a few replies on this and one nice man said it may be the pinion gear clutch. Also someone told me that you have to move the transmission in order to get to the flywheel and that would run about $800.00 in labor. I dont have that kind of money. I can not afford to play this game of elimination. Please can anyone tell me I have seen other post wherein people say you can look at the flywheel's teeth. Can you with out having to take the transmission apart? Do you think it is a bad starter, my last one you could see where the teeth were grinded bad. replaced with one that had good teeth a rebuit one. Do you think it is the starter again, the pinion gear or the flywheel, please any suggestions

Thank You!!!!!!!

Donna
Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 AM
wyld1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there should be a inspection plate that can be removed to see if you have any missing teeth if not remove the starter and turn the engine over by the crank and yes you do have to remove the transmission to replace the fly wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter, Flywheel or Pinion Gear?