General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless steel exhaust tip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Stainless steel exhaust tip?

I'm interested in getting a stainless steel exhaust tip for my 2012 f150 XLT. Aside from being more aesthetically pleasing, are there any other noteworthy benefits to a stainless steel tip? I know that I don't want a chrome-tipped exhaust. I really want something that will resist corrosion and stay shiny and nice looking for a long time. Will putting on a stainless steel tip change the sound of my exhaust? I don't particularly want the truck to be louder - this is mostly for appearance/corrosion prevention.

Would appreciate any suggestions and thoughts ... best place to purchase, what to watch out for, what brand, etc ...

Thank you
Old 08-18-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

It is purely aesthetic. The chances of it changing the sound is nearly 0. As far as staying shiny, I think they are hard to get clean and pretty. Water spots show up like crazy, and they are right where the wheels throw everything off the road on them. I had them on one truck and vowed to never do it again. That said, I do not treat me truck like a show truck at all. It is a daily driver, weekend hauler, and family taxi. If you are willing to spend the time keeping them clean, they do look nice.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by willieboy
It is purely aesthetic. The chances of it changing the sound is nearly 0. As far as staying shiny, I think they are hard to get clean and pretty. Water spots show up like crazy, and they are right where the wheels throw everything off the road on them. I had them on one truck and vowed to never do it again. That said, I do not treat me truck like a show truck at all. It is a daily driver, weekend hauler, and family taxi. If you are willing to spend the time keeping them clean, they do look nice.
Yeah, you make some good points. That thing is going to be dirty constantly.

My truck isn't a "show truck" by any means, but I do like to keep my truck looking nice and I thought the stainless steel tip would be a nice replacement to a factory exhaust tip that would otherwise be a rust & corrosion magnet.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Gas Guzzler

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

nothing like decorating the ejection port for toxic fumes. We Americans are ran by our egos. what a pity.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For corrosion resistance stainless is the way to go. Autoanything.com has a nice selection of tips if you want to look there. You may however want to look at a full system as the mufflers usually rust through before the factory “tips” will. They are expensive by comparison but most come with the tip and a HP improvement… food for thought.
The following users liked this post:
AutoAnything (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by TRex FX4
For corrosion resistance stainless is the way to go. Autoanything.com has a nice selection of tips if you want to look there. You may however want to look at a full system as the mufflers usually rust through before the factory “tips” will. They are expensive by comparison but most come with the tip and a HP improvement… food for thought.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind!

Quick Reply: Stainless steel exhaust tip?