General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed limiter

I have a 2012 F150 w/5.0. Will not go over 95 mph. ow can I fix it were it will go faster?
Old 03-29-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Typically you'll need a tune, either custom or cookie cutter. I installed a cookie cutter Superchips 1715 Max Micro Tune on my old Lariat and in addition to changing various things like shift points etc...it also removed the Top Speed Limiter which was set at like 98mph or so. Not that I exceeded 100mph very often in a pickup truck!

Last edited by Joe F; 03-29-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Do you a favour, stop driving.
The following 4 users liked this post by Eduskator:
gone postal (03-29-2018), JCR 56 (03-29-2018), McLovin (03-29-2018), UncleG (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:02 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

95 isn't fast enough for ya? Where do you drive? I want to keep my loved ones off the roads in your area!
The following 4 users liked this post by McLovin:
BCMIF150 (03-29-2018), gone postal (03-29-2018), JCR 56 (03-29-2018), UncleG (03-30-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 07:51 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Guys really? Maybe he wants to do it the right way on the drag strip. Y'all jump way too fast to conclusions. I got rid of my speed limiter a long time ago and have no plans what so ever to exceed posted limits nor race it on a track but I can if I want to. Sometimes it's not about being able to, it's about not having nanny gov rules stopping me from realizing the full potential of a machine I busted my *** to buy. I don't give a damn who you are if I pay $40,000 for something I want ALL OF IT!!!

OP You need a custom tuner like an SCTx4 to remove the limiter.
The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
idrive (03-29-2018), zgoldwingman (05-13-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 09:34 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

I would like the ability to go faster if needed, but I don’t want to get a tuner. I’m in the camp of wanting the option....but I wouldn’t pay hundreds of $$ to get it.

My last vehicle, a sport SUV, I had to get into 3-digits once to get away from a crazy person. In the middle of nowhere, a guy literally started trying to run me off the road for no apparent reason. It was a 4 lane road and I was just tooling along, going to pass him and he swiped his truck over at me (coming well into my lane). We were the only cars on the road. I thought it was an accidental swerve and backed off. Next, once he was back in his lane, I went to pass, using more gas this time so I wouldn’t be next to him long. Once I was next to him, he came over at me again...forcing most of my vehicle into the median...I had only the right side tires still on pavement. I gave more gas and got ahead of him. He didn’t back off, he kept accelerating to try to get next to me again. Having seen what he did the previous 2 times he was next to me, I wasn’t going to let him do that. I pulled my .45 out of the console, made sure It was in condition zero, and laid on the gas. He tried to keep up, but fortunately I was in the faster vehicle. It was all very strange. I know some people will say they would just start shooting, but that wasn’t something I wanted to do if I could just outaccelerate him. I also got my phone ready, so I could video him if I couldn’t get away....to help prove my side of the story if needed. I stayed in triple digits until I hit a town. I wish I’d gotten his license plate number, but by the time I realized he was trying to harm me, I was in front of him and going hard on the gas. I probably should have called 911.....but again, it happened really fast and I was focused on self preservation.

So, normally, I wouldn’t drive that fast, just a little over the legal limit. However, if I had been limited to 96 mph that day, it might have turned into a gunfight or demolition derby. Scary thought, since I was just driving home to my family. So, I want the option to go faster, but I also wouldn’t ever expect that scenario to happen again.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
I would like the ability to go faster if needed, but I don’t want to get a tuner. I’m in the camp of wanting the option....but I wouldn’t pay hundreds of $$ to get it.
I wanted the extra power for towing and generally better performance, the limiter delete is just lagniappe. I wouldn't buy a tuner just for that either.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

No dis' to anyone, however ...

Keep in mind it (the speed limiter) is there due to (amoung other things) the critical mass limitations of the driveline.

That, and without upgrading the suspension and braking systems of the vehicle, is reckless to your passengers as well as fellow motorists.

Off-road (e.g. drag racing) will still have the same issues (driveline harmonics, handling, stopping, etc.).
On-road, rage, ... law enforcement will always tell you that the best policy is - avoid and call 911.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
No dis' to anyone, however ...

Keep in mind it (the speed limiter) is there due to [SIZE="1"](amoung other things)[/SIZE] the critical mass limitations of the driveline.

That, and without upgrading the suspension and braking systems of the vehicle, is reckless to your passengers as well as fellow motorists.

Off-road (e.g. drag racing) will still have the same issues (driveline harmonics, handling, stopping, etc.).
On-road, rage, ... law enforcement will always tell you that the best policy is - avoid and call 911.
Very true and anyone with half a brain that plans to race off road, will already know to boost those items beyond OEM spec. I remember back years ago Ford was having issues with the transmission output shaft bushing spinning out and grenading the trans and the drive shaft when speeds reached above 130 in the Crown Vic police interceptors so they told us to dial them back to 103 or something like that, needless to say the 4 police departments that I took care of were not at all happy simply because bad guys were out running them. To make a long story short Ford agreed to boost top speed back up only if those departments signed wavers of warranty on every interceptor in their fleets. This included Escambia County Florida and Escambia County Alabama as well as Florida state and Alabama state troopers. Weird the way they had me do it though, they gave me a vin# for a Lincoln Towncar to program all of them with so the speed would be bumped not up to the 130 mark like they were but to only 113 and everyone was happy.

Never did have any of them come back in with problems that Ford said was likely to happen but can certainly understand the how and why.

Quick Reply: Speed limiter