General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soft brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft brake pedal

got a brake question...i'll blame inexperience...but im learning so here we go...

changed brake pads, only issue i found was a piston on the drivers side was ever so slightly leaking when i was compressing them back. BUT it wasent all the time...
what i did:
changed brake pads, bled brakes, mc ran dry so i added more then re-bled lines. had a stuck bleeder screw so i tried bleeding thru the caliper banjo bolt...broke that off, got a new one. (Which if that happens to anyone, no store carrys the damn thing, had to order it). bleed, bleed, bleed gravity way. rear right, rear left, right front, left front. attempted to remove mc to bench bleed (because of the soft pedal) rusted line, so couldnt get it off. re-bleed 3x. kept bleeding...
rear bleeders rusted and broke off so i was bleeding through the calipers banjo bolts on rear, front bleeders were fine.

help please...
Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

Soft pedal usually means air somewhere.

Last edited by depami; 03-31-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Being as you found a caliper piston slightly leaking I'd replace that as it may be sucking in some air when releasing the brakes. Secondly you ran the master cylinder dry during bleeding which indicates you have an air pocket trapped inside the master cylinder which you might not get out without bench bleeding or manual bleeding. How are you bleeding the brakes? Gravity only? I would bench bleed the master cylinder then manual bleed the system.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

What he said /\ /\ /\

Plus this \/ \/ \/

Name:  PowerBleeder.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  10.2 KB
Old 03-31-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gravity bleed with assistant but the rear bleeder screws were broke in the caliper with no leak so I had to bleed from the caliper banjo bolt. There aren't any visible leaks other than the piston slightly leaking upon compression. After refilling the mc I bleed it another 5 times...

Quick Reply: soft brake pedal