Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So is auto start stop going to ruin my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default So is auto start stop going to ruin my truck?

I keep seeing a bunch of posts about how to disable the auto start stop function. I admit that I think it's weird that you have to disable it EVERY time you start the truck. But I'm wondering... Is there a negative to it being on? Is it going to burn up my starter? Aside from not being able to use up more gas while sitting still, is there a negative to using Auto start stop?
Old 05-05-2019, 12:19 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

A/C doesn't work very well, and you can't drag race.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:20 AM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah your initial thought is you're gonna burn out your starter motor with all the stop/starting, but they designed these things for the increased number of cycles.
I think most people disable it because it simply bugs 'em. My wife's had it on her BMW's for I dunno how many years(she hates it even though on those things you can't feel it), but those cars let you kill it once and for all in the settings. I personally don't mind it, so I let it rip. I've noticed when its hot outside and he AC is going hard, it turns itself off though
Old 05-05-2019, 03:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of auto-stop, my concern is it may not start up when needed and that could be a problem in certain situations. Read a story about someone with a Lincoln MKZ that had numerous issues with auto-stop not restarting. Lincoln couldn't fix it, so they got a lemon law buyback.

I just had a nice experience with auto-stop. Was passing a family moving their horses from one pasture to another on a narrow dirt road, and 4 horses were just following with no rider or lead. Not wanting to spook them, I stopped as they squeezed by. Had the window all the way down, auto-stop engaged, said "howdy" and was able to let them pass in total silence. They were much obliged and I got a pleasant nod from from the pretty blonde haired cowgirl. So that was cool.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schloss:
Ricktwuhk (05-05-2019), rmc63 (05-07-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 08:30 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Heavy duty starter and battery. These aren't just slapped-on systems but engineered to be more efficient on startup and with the auto stop-start.
The following 2 users liked this post by chimmike:
Ricktwuhk (05-05-2019), rmc63 (05-07-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 08:33 AM
FX4

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

Have to see if the ac seats work when auto stopped
Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

I would be more concerned with what it's doing to the engine over the long run ( bearings, timing chains ,tensioners, etc.), it's more than just the starter going out. I mean who thinks it's a good idea every time you come to a stop, to reach up and turn the key off, that kind of puts it into perspective.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts
Lightbulb Some thoughts on this Stop-Start business...

Originally Posted by a2pfunk
I keep seeing a bunch of posts about how to disable the auto start stop function. I admit that I think it's weird that you have to disable it EVERY time you start the truck. But I'm wondering... Is there a negative to it being on? Is it going to burn up my starter? Aside from not being able to use up more gas while sitting still, is there a negative to using Auto start stop?
A few objective observations:

1. Personally, I am not a supporter of this device, and apart from the fact that it is a purposefully installed "accident waiting to happen" that could injure or end up killing someone....is justification enough to not be a subscriber. I can hear it now "Awwww that will never happen"....sorry, but the universal law of averages and statistics demands that it will happen and someone must be the victim to satisfy that law. Case in point, car stops and fails to start halfway through an intersection which results in an accident as that 18 wheeler who thought you were going to move but you cant because the system failed.....you know the rest of the story, its undeniable. Fundamentally, no matter how you size this up, engines are meant to primarily assist the vehicle to move on demand. You may disagree with these statements...until it fails on YOUR car. This "technology" specifically inhibits or at best restricts that potential from happening and could malfunction at the MOST inappropriate time. I have read posts where complaints have been voiced over the system not working properly......rest my case. I am not disagreeing with anyone's opinion of whether they love it or not. Thats up to you. My thought is that it is a problem to have the vehicle temporarily disabled in traffic for the sole reason for a fractional gas consumption is at best selfishly idiotic on the part of OEM's and the EPA. Whats next, Start-Stop on passenger jet engines?....silly right?

2. Truth is, this nonsense was created to fudge the EPA numbers and raise the averages, a quick fix on paper that has not been thought out well. Folks who have been bamboozled into thinking this is a good thing...Please see (1) above.

3. On the mechanical side, it appears that some beefing up of the components have taken place to accommodate the extra duty. Seeing my vehicles have been liberated from this curse, I feel better that I have tougher parts that can provide more reliable service as a result of starting and stopping once per day as opposed to 100 times per day! Thanks guys.

4. Lastly, be aware that when the engine stops, oil seeps out of the main crankshaft bearings. with each successive start up, the oil pump does not instantly re-pressurize the lubrication system fully, there is always a tiny millisecond lag as the oil needs to be FULLY replaced on all the lubricated surfaces, so yes...no matter how you slice this idea out, the rotational "shock" of starting on bearing surfaces etc causes chronic abnormal wear as opposed to leaving the engine running and fully pressurized. When its running the lubrication is ever present. When it stops...oil DRAINS OUT OF THE CRANKSHAFT AND CAM BEARINGS! The oil pump has to pressure up fluid to these parts each and every time the engine is started. Of course, the bearings have been beefed up to combat this extra duty....okie-dokie then :/ .....there is only so much you can achieve with babbitted bearings so there may be some hype and skulduggery involved here. Again, accelerated wear no matter how minute adds up over time. For me personally, I don't care for the fact knowing that my engine is getting worn out faster.

5. This planet has been around for approximately 4.5 BILLION years. Unlikely Start-Stop will have any meaningful effect on anything except your patience, $10 per year savings and oh....perhaps your life.

6. Jus' sayin.

Regarding the mechanics
Old 05-05-2019, 09:39 AM
FX4

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

Why are you stopped half way thru an intersection?
The following 6 users liked this post by NVR2LO:
a2pfunk (05-05-2019), JamesS. (05-06-2019), MotoToph (07-16-2023), Ricktwuhk (05-05-2019), rmc63 (05-07-2019), Steve83 (05-05-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-05-2019, 10:05 AM

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

I think that's a crap argument against this technology. It DOES reduce fuel consumption and it is engineered for the service life of the vehicle (NOT necessarily the life of the vehicle).

As with all things mechanical, it must be maintained. That being said, the bigger problem is EPA testing isn't a great metric. The incentives it creates to optimize some driving conditions versus other more realistic ones is problematic.

Stop/start is here to stay, and frankly it's not very intrusive, and ultimately it's probably a financial wash while marginally improving the planet. It's the same reason 2.7L Ecos are killing the V8 (see the news that the V8 plant is cutting a shift), it's just better technology.

I understand hating change, but Ford wouldn't throw this at 100% of their fleet without thinking it through... that or we need to all start buying Chevys...
The following 3 users liked this post by SoPoSassquatch:
Ala'a Adwan (05-31-2019), Ricktwuhk (05-05-2019), rmc63 (05-07-2019)

Quick Reply: So is auto start stop going to ruin my truck?