General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow tires...yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 05:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Snow tires...yes or no?

Befor I start my rant, I am from Kelowna, BC. We have snow on the roads from november until april and several feet of it in the hills from october -june, several feet deep.

So the age old debate....I run BFG AT KO's on my truck. 09 f-150 FX4, I do a LOT of snow wheeling, lots of time with my chains on and in really deep stuff. I need it all- I need a load rated tire as I have a 26 foot travel trailer, I need something that does well on the hwy in the snow, well behaved on FSR's regardless of season. I ran hand siped mud tires on my last truck, a 1 ton but found I wasn't getting good life out of them, so started running the AT's. Might be a different story in a half ton, they might last a little longer. I don't spend too much time in the mud. Lots in the dirt and on the rocks, and tons in the snow. I am tempted to get a set of snow tires but I am wondering if I will be dissapointed with them in deep snow. I can't decide if I should do that or go a little more agressive and then maybe hand sipe them? Anyone have snow tires and how are they on unplowed FSR's in 3 feet of snow? My other concern with snow tire is that I would need to run them from Oct-June because we play up high in the snow until early June. And in June you need a tire good in mud and snow because you are going through both.
So the real question is, snow tires, great on the pavent in the snow but how will they do in deep powder with ice under and in spring snow and mud? Not totally impressed with the AT's now that they are nearing 60% tread....
Attached Thumbnails Snow tires...yes or no?-imag0809.jpg  
Old 12-12-2013, 05:44 AM

First I'd recommend Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires. They are at tires but I've never seen better tires in the snow, being from Minnesota we get our fair share but not as much as you.

For snow tires the only set I've ever owned was on my civic but wow did they perform. I've literally driven through snow 10-12inches above my front bumper to where i was plowing it and never got stuck. That said I'd still go with duratracs if possible(Not sure load rating).
The following users liked this post:
500grhollowpoint (12-12-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 05:51 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Fierce Attitude MT... I love mine... I'm 2wd and they took me to and from work(20 miles, And 10 of those miles is a road that gets no snow plows or salt.) in 11inch's of snow over the weekend.

Took me through my buddys yard with 7inch's of snow lol

Mine are E rated... And they do great with towing...
Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by k7Gixxer
First I'd recommend Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires. They are at tires but I've never seen better tires in the snow, being from Minnesota we get our fair share but not as much as you.

For snow tires the only set I've ever owned was on my civic but wow did they perform. I've literally driven through snow 10-12inches above my front bumper to where i was plowing it and never got stuck. That said I'd still go with duratracs if possible(Not sure load rating).
So good on icy roads and deep snow? I have been leaning towards those.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by 500grhollowpoint
So good on icy roads and deep snow? I have been leaning towards those.
The duratracs were damn good in both. I've never seen anything like them in the snow and ice. In Minnesota we can't stud tires so none are that great on ice but the duratrac preformed just as well as the dedicated snow tires.

I don't tow often but i have towed a loaded 4 snowmobile enclosed trailer through the Duluth hills to the UP in a heavy snow no problem.

I've heard the Nokian Hakkapeliitta is the best of the best in snow but with how my duratracs have performed I don't think I'll ever need them

Last edited by k7Gixxer; 12-12-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i was also thinking about snow tires does any one have experience with mikey thompsons
Old 12-12-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Sorry not much input on good snow tires I'm in Southern Ontario. We can get dumped on but for the most part it doesn't last long or gets plowed quickly in and around the city limits. I'm using my stock tires atm since they are brand new and what to get some use out of them but next year will switch. I'm seeing lots of good reports for the Duratracs but I'm curious if they are tire we can use year around on pavement too. They do have the snowflake rating so will they wear down faster then all seasons? Is the rubber compound soft like true dedicated snow tires?

OP I love Western Canada I'd move there in a heartbeat if I didn't have the ties to the east that I currently have. With that said it looks like your stuck I see a cable hooked up to your tow-hook. Looks like a snowmobile is the best bet just for getting around obviously not much help for anything beyond getting around.

Get one of these bad boys?

Old 12-12-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I also ran the Duratracs on my F350. Never seen a better AT tire in the snow period. I've tried at least a dozen AT tires on my trucks before. I have never tried a snow tire though.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
The Dodge Slayer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

A tire that is snow specific will be of a softer compound, which is always stickier (ie your ice traction) than an all season mud and snow tire with a slightly harder compound. The trade off, softer compound wear faster on pavement and hard - pack.
Look for aggressive open lugs (big knobbies with lots of space between them) as they will clean themselves better.
I would also ask, are you allowed steel studded snow tires in your region? That will improve your ice traction enormously!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:29 PM

I think the duratracs sound like the way to go. I think dedicated snow tires won't be great in mud in the spring or deep snow.

I think the tracks are the best bet but might be out of my price range.....

Last edited by 500grhollowpoint; 12-12-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Snow tires...yes or no?