General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

self retracking foot step

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default self retracking foot step

Some of the 18 trucks have a retractable foot step. What's your thoughts on corrosion issues with that step. Hate to see it get stuck in retracted position.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Platinum trim levels have had them since 2009 model year. Since the 2015+ body change, they expanded that to more trim levels, but they've been on trucks for many years. What types of corrosion issues are you asking about? From salt? Snow? Bad weather? Most people just keep the motors well lubricated and cleaned and don't really run into issues. I have them on my 2013 and have no issues, but I live in TX and don't run into nasty cold weather. Never an issue with mine.

Lots of people go with the Amp Power Steps. They are better made and have better parts. They also have individually replaceable parts. The Ford running boards you can't replace the motors by themselves, Ford doesn't sell them.
The following users liked this post:
stevehin (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Amp is the primary brand.

Bestop is probably the only other and few people buy them, just because Amp has such a reputation.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the AMP, but only for 10 months, so I cant tell how well they will handle the salt on the gulf coast. They seem to be pretty tough so far.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

I’ve had the AMP for 2 years. No issues, spray em out, keep em clean, and lubricated. Live in SC so no worries about corrosion.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

One of my steps had the paint peeling off. Sent a simple and friendly email to Amp with pics and they sent me a new step. No hassle.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

As some of the members posted above, the most popular manufacturer for this product is AMP Research. The steps you are referring to is the "AMP Research BedStep" and the "AMP Research Bed Step 2". The original BedStep will mount under the rear bumper while the BedStep 2 mounts on the side of the truck bed for easier access to the front of your bed. These steps have been around for many years and I've never received a call about rust or corrosion being an issue. They are powder-coated and feature to quality hardware, just as if you were to install a set of running boards or nerf bars on your truck.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 401 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Truck Brigade
As some of the members posted above, the most popular manufacturer for this product is AMP Research. The steps you are referring to is the "AMP Research BedStep" and the "AMP Research Bed Step 2". The original BedStep will mount under the rear bumper while the BedStep 2 mounts on the side of the truck bed for easier access to the front of your bed. These steps have been around for many years and I've never received a call about rust or corrosion being an issue. They are powder-coated and feature to quality hardware, just as if you were to install a set of running boards or nerf bars on your truck.
The OP never mentioned the bed so I am willing to bet that what you posted is not what he is talking about.

Quick Reply: self retracking foot step