Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraping/grinding coming from wheel

Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Exclamation Scraping/grinding coming from wheel

So yesterday I was coming back from class and my truck all of a sudden started making this scraping or grinding noise from the driver front wheel. I immediately pulled over and looked around to see if something was caught in the wheel and there was nothing. Note the truck made kind of a popping sound before it stopped the noise while I was slowing down. So today I drove the truck and it did the same thing once I got on the interstate. The last time I had the oil changed they told me I was going to need new pads on the front soon. Could this be the problem? But why would it make sounds without the brakes applied? Thanks dudes.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Pull off the tire, and see what's making the noise.

You're welcome.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Squishy Heads

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hub bearings.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:23 PM
First Tiger of G.R.O.S.S.

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like your brakes... if they said they needed to be replaced, they probably still do. I am +1... jack it up, take the wheel off and look... most likely metal on metal...

Don't wait too long, or you will be replacing rotors too.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done some research and I'm pretty sure the warm weather has caused the iwe system to act up. I'm going to pick up a new solenoid monday and see how it helps.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver Side Wheel Grinding sound

My F150 4x4 does the same, but very infrequently (once or twice a month). I am typically driving along 30 MPH always in 2-wheel drive mode, not touching the brakes. All of a sudden, a loud grinding sound from driver-side wheel, so I gradually slow down and a "Thump" sound occurs and the grinding stops (10-15 second). I have tried punching the brakes, but the sound doesn't go away.

I just had the front brakes done and told the Tech to look for something which could cause such a sound. The technichian could not find any cause of the grinding sound. The very next day the Truck did the same thing, so I brought it back. Master-Tech pulled both front tires, test drove it 4 times, could not find anything wrong (and did not hear any grinding sound). Since the brakes are serviced, it must be something else, but what could it be? Something relating to the 4-wheel drive. I drive it in x2 mode when the problem occurs. ANY IDEAS ANYONE
Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to my 2006 XLT 4x4 and it was the IWE system losing pressure trying engage the 4 wheel drive. I sounded like he brakes or the bearings. Took to Ford had the work done under warranty. Went ahead and the brakes done too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scraping/grinding coming from wheel