General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust Potential / Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

Default Rust Potential / Prevention

Rust is ultimately inevitable but we all want to prevent it as much as possible. Obviously the best rust prevention is to keep your vehicle clean. But, are there key areas we can focus on to deter rust from developing prematurely?

Here is one area that is easy to identify as it is likely seen during every entry/exit of the vehicle. This is also an area that is likely not well cleaned during a “normal wash” or even a “thorough under carriage wash”. It requires special attention with door open.

Is there something to treat this area with to keep the seam from rotting from the inside out?

Rust Potential / Prevention-rppd1.jpg

Rust Potential / Prevention-rpdd1.jpg

Here is another area of potential rust problems and a possible preventative action.

Rust Potential / Prevention-ubh5.jpg

Rust Potential / Prevention-ubh6.jpg

What other areas have you all found and what preventive actions can you suggest?

Old 06-08-2014, 03:25 PM
cny

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the third photo of?
Old 06-08-2014, 07:42 PM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by cny
What is the third photo of?
Second photo is the hole left behind after nerf-bar delete.

Third photo is hole taped over.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been using Fluid-Film and I like it so far. Theres a local place here that does a complete coating of the undercarriage. I've only noticed one spot that was getting surface rust and that is right where the bed meets the cab on the bottom corners (on the cab). I'll take a picture tomorrow morning so it's more clear.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://nhoilundercoating.com/blog/
This is what I do to my truck.

Also available on Amazon for DIY.
Amazon.com: Fluid Film Undercoating Kit 1 Gallon with Spray Gun, bottles, and everything you need.: Automotive Amazon.com: Fluid Film Undercoating Kit 1 Gallon with Spray Gun, bottles, and everything you need.: Automotive

It's non-toxic and doesnt drip.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about plasti dipping the inside of the doors there. Not sure if its going to work or not
Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 AM

The way to stop the rust in your door channels is get a can of white grease spray. Insert extension nozzle into the opening at the end of the door and spray. You can then park on a slight forward angle. Overnight or maybe sooner you will see the grease coming out of the opening at the hinge end. This is a process that many body shops use, especially on their vehicles. Water gets into the channels no matter what you do but this should help a lot. If you could find undercoating that has a small nozzle to fit into opening that would work also.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:27 AM

On the lower part of the door my uncle uses clear silicone hes done it to all his trucks and it stops water from sitting in there

Quick Reply: Rust Potential / Prevention