General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust on painted bumper and door panels

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on painted bumper and door panels

Hi guys. This is my first time here and I have some questions and/or concerns about some small signs of rust on my 2014 f150.

It's an fx4 all white painted bumpers and throughout. Most particular in the front bumper, tiny tiny chips (most likely small stone chips) has made very small chips, cracks in the paint. I've started to see rust colour at those spots. I've also noticed on the drivers door for example several very small spots as well with signs of rust.

What can I do? I've owned the truck only for a few months now when I bought it in April. It's at 56000km. Is this eligible for warranty at all? I also extended to a 5 year 160k when the factory 60k runs out.

Im assuming it's not warranty worthy, but figured I'd ask if anyone has done that route.

If my only option is to touch it up, what exactly do I need to do? Every site I go to that explains how to remove rust are on chrome or non painted surfaces.

Is there a coating to protect from rust that I can apply, then use a touch up paint to hide it? Do I need to clean the area/rust before applying a rust coating or paint etc?

This is all new for me as you could probably guess. So every little detaIL you could spare would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for you help!
Old 06-26-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

I think I know what you're talking about.
Look up a product called iron-x.
See if that helps.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:30 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Rusted where there is no paint, or rusted on top of the paint? If it is on top of the paint, its called rail-dust, from being transported in train cars. Usually claybar and a cleaner wax followed by a polish takes care of. As for iron-x, that sounds promising as well.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

i used to clay as well, Summers22. I find by using iron-x first, the claying is much faster and easier. Then I do my waxing.
Good question on the location. I do think he means on top of the paint. I've learned it comes off your brake pads as well.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a white FX4 that now has 80K on it, and since about 30K my front bumper looks like it has been used for target practice. Stone chips galore which turn a vibrant orange due to rust.

I'm going to have the entire bumper repainted and 3M clear shield applied once the paint has cured like I should have done in the first place - lesson learned.

I have heard of some people using plasti-dip but cannot comment on colour matching as I am not familiar with this product.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Rock chips are not covered by warranty. They are a fact of life for painted pieces. Anything painted on the front of a vehicle will experience rock chips. If your vehicle gets rock chips it's not an indicator of fragile paint, like so many on here claim.

The rust on top of your paint, is like what others say. Rail dust. Comes off your brakes. Most noticible on white and silver colors. Will be on the bottoms of fenders/doors. On the boxside behind the wheels, and your tailgate. Spent my first few years in the auto body industry emptying trash, sweeping floors, and.... Removing rail dust from brand new vehicles. The other version... From transport. But it's basically the same thing. Brakes from the train, or semi truck that's transporting
Attached Thumbnails Rust on painted bumper and door panels-20160626_235741.png  
Old 06-27-2016, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mbullock
Rock chips are not covered by warranty. They are a fact of life for painted pieces. Anything painted on the front of a vehicle will experience rock chips. If your vehicle gets rock chips it's not an indicator of fragile paint, like so many on here claim.

The rust on top of your paint, is like what others say. Rail dust. Comes off your brakes. Most noticible on white and silver colors. Will be on the bottoms of fenders/doors. On the boxside behind the wheels, and your tailgate. Spent my first few years in the auto body industry emptying trash, sweeping floors, and.... Removing rail dust from brand new vehicles. The other version... From transport. But it's basically the same thing. Brakes from the train, or semi truck that's transporting

So that sounds exactly the issue I am having so the bigger question is how do I tackle the eciting problem and stay on top of it so it doesn't keep reoccurring.

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Rust on painted bumper and door panels