General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust

I have rust on a lot of parts underneath my truck. Should i take care of this? If so can i just slap a coating of grease on them and leave it alone?
Old 06-28-2014, 03:51 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

If it's items that aren't painted or plated or are poorly painted, like the rear axle assembly or other non body color parts. I wouldn't worry about it. Post a picture or tell us what's rusted. My 11 has rust on a variety of parts, including stuff that shouldn't be rusted. For me, it's the joys of living on dirt roads and winter road chemicals.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is the drive shaft and some pully system with rust, the exhaust manifold is covered and looks the worst. the exhaust has a lot too. would some kind of grease be good or if it really bothers me should i buy a rust removal spray kit. or would that consist of removing the drive shaft and spraying it?
Attached Thumbnails Rust-img_20140630_090404.jpg   Rust-img_20140630_090427.jpg  
Old 07-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Cant this thing go faster

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by muncheese
here is the drive shaft and some pully system with rust, the exhaust manifold is covered and looks the worst. the exhaust has a lot too. would some kind of grease be good or if it really bothers me should i buy a rust removal spray kit. or would that consist of removing the drive shaft and spraying it?
The rust on the drive shaft is fine, its just surface rust. The only option for the pulleys and exhaust would be to replace them, you cant paint or "grease" the exhaust its will just burn off.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Iowa Farm Boy

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by muncheese
There's hardly any rust on that truck. The minimal rust that's on your exhaust can be treated by sanding it down then spraying some high-temp paint.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

That's not bad at all. My frame welds and bed rails are starting to bleed rust through the paint. And my truck has only gone through 1 winter season with limited use.
I'm going to get it coated this fall.

Quick Reply: Rust