General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough country 6” lifted Vertex Coilover question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Rough country 6” lifted Vertex Coilover question

I’ve been looking at upgrading my coil overs and have stumbled upon these recently. Is anyone out there running these? How do you like them? Any comparison to the fox or other brands out there? What’s the best one for good on road quality?
Old 10-24-2018, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can’t find any anwser either....
Old 10-25-2018, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Michael J. Miller
I can’t find any anwser either....
Thanks for the reply. What lift are you running? What’s your current front suspension setup?
Old 10-25-2018, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by FjordsFords

Thanks for the reply. What lift are you running? What’s your current front suspension setup?
i am only 2.5” level. On 34x11.6 toyos. I have been researching in either going BDS with fox coilover or go rough country with their coilover and use the saved money for new wheels
Old 10-26-2018, 06:49 AM

i am only 2.5” level. On 34x11.6 toyos. I have been researching in either going BDS with fox coilover or go rough country with their coilover and use the saved money for new wheels
Good plan. I have the rough country 6” extended struts on stock springs up front and they are pretty terrible. The ride was better with the stock strut and ready lift spacers. I’ve heard good things about the Fox coilovers but I’ve heard even better things about the Icon ones. If you’re fitting the 34’s now, why even bother lifting? Or are you saying you’re just going to add the correct length coilover?
Old 10-26-2018, 09:50 AM

Good plan. I have the rough country 6” extended struts on stock springs up front and they are pretty terrible. The ride was better with the stock strut and ready lift spacers. I’ve heard good things about the Fox coilovers but I’ve heard even better things about the Icon ones. If you’re fitting the 34’s now, why even bother lifting? Or are you saying you’re just going to add the correct length coilover?
i don’t like my stock wheels and 34 only fit with -44 offset. I like the look of 6” with little wider wheels and 35. Nice thing about the RC coilover is the front is also 2.5 with 8 settings of adjustment. The rear is also bigger with a 2.5 shock that also has 8 settings to adjust ride
Old 10-27-2018, 10:30 AM

i don’t like my stock wheels and 34 only fit with -44 offset. I like the look of 6” with little wider wheels and 35. Nice thing about the RC coilover is the front is also 2.5 with 8 settings of adjustment. The rear is also bigger with a 2.5 shock that also has 8 settings to adjust ride
Yes they are adjustable but I believe you need the spanner wrench. I did some research and on the RC website there are guys with chevys running the Vertex Coilovers. There are ten 5 star ratings and one 4 Star. I may have to be the guinea pig on this one and try them out. I can’t see paying nearly double for the fox ones. I’m gonna think about it some more before I pull the trigger.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Vertex coilovers

Hi I’m new here, have a 2015 lariat 6” procomp lift, 35" tires I had the procomp coilovers, they were better than stock suspension with spacers... that much is certain , no creaks , moans or clunks but the ride was a bit harsh for me, okay on highway but annoying at times on broken streets over speed bumps..

I bought the vertex coilovers and I have to say they were the best bang for the buck. Here in NYC there are no dirt trails but loads of pot holes. I have them set at setting 2 (soft) and the truck rides like a Caddy, super soft and smooth. I set them at 5 if I go on a long highway trip.
No more harsh jolts over the bad roads and it does no wallow or ride spongy up and down when set soft.. its soft over the bumps and composed afterwards
What a difference, night and day. On a 1 to 10 , I give it a 10 for street driving. I can hold a cup of coffee and drive and not spill all over the damn console.. lol.

Build quality of the shocks itself is pretty nice but I had 2 small issues mounting them, one had the mounting plate on one shock was reversed and they also mount with the hose facing rearward not frontward as in there website picture. , I called Rough country and they were a bit puzzled. I had to explain to them how to fix it,, go figure,, PS the huge Allen key is a 12mm FYI that holds it to the mounting plate.

Guess the product was to new for all of them to know how the new coil over installs. Plus no instructions are sent with them. Thank god for google images..lol
Just for the ride quality again I would buy them in a heart beat. Finally a bolt on mod that is actually worth the case. I am going to buy the matching rear shocks and see who they compare to my Fox shocks on there now,, I am tired of that damn wheel hop rear axle,,

Last edited by eric krott; 11-06-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by eric krott
Hi I’m new here, have a 2015 lariat 6” procomp lift, 35" tires I had the procomp coilovers, they were better than stock suspension with spacers... that much is certain , no creaks , moans or clunks but the ride was a bit harsh for me, okay on highway but annoying at times on broken streets over speed bumps..

I bought the vertex coilovers and I have to say they were the best bang for the buck. Here in NYC there are no dirt trails but loads of pot holes. I have them set at setting 2 (soft) and the truck rides like a Caddy, super soft and smooth. I set them at 5 if I go on a long highway trip.
No more harsh jolts over the bad roads and it does no wallow or ride spongy up and down when set soft.. its soft over the bumps and composed afterwards
What a difference, night and day. On a 1 to 10 , I give it a 10 for street driving. I can hold a cup of coffee and drive and not spill all over the damn console.. lol.

Build quality of the shocks itself is pretty nice but I had 2 small issues mounting them, one had the mounting plate on one shock was reversed and they also mount with the hose facing rearward not frontward as in there website picture. , I called Rough country and they were a bit puzzled. I had to explain to them how to fix it,, go figure,, PS the huge Allen key is a 12mm FYI that holds it to the mounting plate.

Guess the product was to new for all of them to know how the new coil over installs. Plus no instructions are sent with them. Thank god for google images..lol
Just for the ride quality again I would buy them in a heart beat. Finally a bolt on mod that is actually worth the case. I am going to buy the matching rear shocks and see who they compare to my Fox shocks on there now,, I am tired of that damn wheel hop rear axle,,
Hey Eric Krott thanks for the review. Anyone know if these coilovers can be rebuilt?

Last edited by KingDeleted; 11-08-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Eric Krott thanks for the review. Anyone know if these coilovers can be rebuilt?

I asked rough county the same question and they stated no, they cannot be rebuilt..But to be honest from speaking to them I think the product was to new and they didn't know much about it (meaning the people who answer the phone)

When I installed them they sat about 3/4 inch higher than original with spacers. Nose high a bit.. it took approx 2000 miles on them and they have settled at the correct height. Got another wheel alignment and it was a tiny bit off from before.

But I have an update. We have a huge stretch torn up road here getting ready for pavement by my job,, real nasty and rough,. but full of holes. I decided to see how it would go with the shocks. I set them at #1 setting.. going approx 10 to 30 mph setting one was great,, I decided to try the next day again.. went around 50.. setting 1 was a bit to soft for that speed. I went try setting 3. no problems with that setting, but who goes 50mph over crazy roads.. lol.. I cant.. I am to old.. Also my tires are Micky Thompson set at 45 psi warm

I have had a lot of lifted trucks and have to say these coilovers have been the best for my style of street driving. At least I can set how harsh the ride can get. I wish I could of afforded the fox dual rate one that you can adjust but the price was crazy $..

I always hated that putting on a lift and new suspension made a harsh ride, I could accept that. And also to get the upgraded shocks were out of the budget most of the time. Usually 2 grand on top of the cost.

I really wish I had a place to really push them to there limit. I have the fox rear shocks on my truck and I am going to swap them out for the rough county vertex ones also. I will report back on how they go. Right now the front end rides like a champ and the back end bucks like a mule over bumps. lol

I have had the front coil overs for 5 months so far so good, I just hope they last .That's is my man concern now. .lol

Eric

Last edited by eric krott; 11-08-2018 at 08:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
5star (11-17-2018)

Quick Reply: Rough country 6” lifted Vertex Coilover question