Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Protection On a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rocker Protection On a Budget

Looking for some ideas here.

Just got the truck and the rockers need some work due to rust.

I have a baby on the way, so budget is limited. I don't really want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks on this.

My first thought was to remove all the rust and use DIY bed liner on the rockers. I think I'd like this, but there's not really any going back from it.

My second thought is to remove all the rust and take my best shot at a spray can paint job, with the utmost in prep and time spent. Lots of coats and wet sanding and the works. Just touching up the gray portion, rockers only.

My preferred method is to remove the rust and have somebody paint it, but budget is limited. Again, just the rockers. And would you keep the two-tone or go all black?

So I guess I'm just looking for ideas here. If I take off the rust, would primer alone get me through the winter until hopefully next year's bonus or tax return could get her professionally painted?

Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

They rust from the inside out. To slow it down as much as possible, get some of this and use the tube to get inside the rockers from below and on the back side of the cab and soak the inside. This stuff will creep into all the little crevices...

Amazon.com: Internal Frame Coating Rust Prevention w/Spray Nozzle: Automotive Amazon.com: Internal Frame Coating Rust Prevention w/Spray Nozzle: Automotive

Another product:
Amazon.com: Eastwood Black Rust Encapsulator w/ Extension Nozzle: Automotive Amazon.com: Eastwood Black Rust Encapsulator w/ Extension Nozzle: Automotive

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 08-04-2014 at 05:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sktllmdrhmz (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 11:23 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd do the bed liner on the outside.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
They rust from the inside out. To slow it down as much as possible, get some of this and use the tube to get inside the rockers from below and on the back side of the cab and soak the inside. This stuff will creep into all the little crevices...

Amazon.com: Internal Frame Coating Rust Prevention w/Spray Nozzle: Automotive

Another product: Amazon.com: Eastwood Black Rust Encapsulator w/ Extension Nozzle: Automotive

Thanks. Do you happen to know an over-the-counter version I could pick up from a parts store?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by sktllmdrhmz

Thanks. Do you happen to know an over-the-counter version I could pick up from a parts store?
Nothing that will work as good. Amazon will get it to you within a week; faster if you pay for shipping.

Quick Reply: Rocker Protection On a Budget