General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse light wiring in 2014 F150, for LED light bar install

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse light wiring in 2014 F150, for LED light bar install

I'm trying to splice in a new LED light bar into the reverse light of my tail light on my 2014 F150. I don't have a multi meter to test out the wiring so I was wondering if anyone knew off hand which wire is the reverse wire in the tail light before I spend money on a multi meter. The turn and brake signal just plug into my 4 pin harness, but the reverse light requires you to splice it into the reverse light in the tail light (or that's what the directions on the kit call for anyways). Could I also just tap into my 7 pin harness wiring? If so, what is the color of that wire if anyone knows?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Last edited by ftrosclair; 02-13-2016 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added something to title
Old 02-13-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

There are several similar discussions in the 2009-2014 section I was just browsing last night. I was actually looking up the same thing for a 2012 last night.

Do a google search for "ford upfitter schematic F-150 2014". It will come back with a fleet.ford.com link titled "body builders layout link" Pages 13-15 have everything you need to know about wire colors related to trailer wiring. Connecting to the trailer wiring is Ford's preferred practice as discussed on Page 4.

It looks like it will be Grey-Brown although there is one connector labeled Blue-White.
The following users liked this post:
ftrosclair (02-13-2016)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The reverse light has it's own wiring. When you pull the light assembly out you will have 2 wires going to the reverse plug, one hot, one ground. The tail/stop/turn lights have several wires going into those plugs. No multi meter necessary, just a 12V test light. Remember to set the e-brake and block the tires before you turn the key on and move the tranny to reverse.....DON'T START THE TRUCK! Just turn the key on. I used a 14 gauge wire and heat shrink butt connectors to splice into the wires with 4" round Dual Revolution brake/turn/tail/reverse lights.

Reverse lights on

Brake lights on...also have LED 3rd brake/cargo light bar replacing the factory on.

Tail lights
Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

I used a relay, so they only come on at night, don't need them during the day. What RCButler said is correct, they have there own wiring. If you don't know which one is negative and positive, wire it up. If you wired them up correctly they will come on. If they don't, swap the wires around.

Last edited by ScubaKen; 01-13-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaKen

I used a relay, so they only come on at night, don't need them during the day. What RCButler said is correct, they have there own wiring. If you don't know which one is negative and positive, wire it up. If you wired them up correctly they will come on. If they don't, swap the wires around.
I have a 2013 f150. I installed wire taps for a reverse light in the reverse light wires. Seemed to work ok. Then I notice after a while it was not working. So I decided to wire it with connectors. I now have no light bar working or my reverse lights working. I then uninstalled the light bar. And re-connected the factory wires back together. Why does this happen? My old pathfinder I just tapped right in with no problem.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:24 PM

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ftrosclair
I'm trying to splice in a new LED light bar into the reverse light of my tail light on my 2014 F150. I don't have a multi meter to test out the wiring so I was wondering if anyone knew off hand which wire is the reverse wire in the tail light before I spend money on a multi meter. The turn and brake signal just plug into my 4 pin harness, but the reverse light requires you to splice it into the reverse light in the tail light (or that's what the directions on the kit call for anyways). Could I also just tap into my 7 pin harness wiring? If so, what is the color of that wire if anyone knows?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Reverse on the 7 pin harness is the center wire.

Quick Reply: Reverse light wiring in 2014 F150, for LED light bar install