General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Gear Detent

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Reverse Gear Detent

I've got a 2012 FX4 with a console-mounted shift lever. I've owned the truck about 6 months and in that period of time I have twice shoved the shift lever forward to Park, only to find that the shifter has hit a detent at Reverse gear and as I started to move to get out, the truck is now moving backwards--these are very short, engine running stops, like opening a gate.

This is my 5th F-150, but I've never had a console shifter before. Two reasons for making this post. I can't be the only person this has happened to...is it? The other is this: I live in a rural area. The two times this happened to me there were no consequences (except minor embarrassment), someone here though may do it in a parking lot, or something worse. Be deliberate about shifting the transmission into Park.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

All automatic shifters have a detent to stop you from hitting park by mistake. You have to intentionally move the lever to get to park.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Never happened in any other truck I've owned with a column-mounted lever. Thanks though

Quick aside, how is hitting Reverse "by mistake" better than hitting Park "by mistake?"
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Kickerbridges

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, an accidental engage into reverse while moving forward will disengage the transmission to neutral... Similar as to when you roll too fast backwards while in drive the engine actually shuts off.

Quick Reply: Reverse Gear Detent