General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Respect" for the truck versus the car on the road

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Respect" for the truck versus the car on the road

Is it just me or do others notice traffic has more "respect" for a truck than for a car on the roads? When I bought my F150 it was a switch from a sedan, and I notice without doubt that other vehicles on the road have vastly more respect, perhaps for the tonnage of the F150 than I saw in my car.

I just attribute it to the fear of an F150 ramming them versus a car!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Your definitely right. I notice it a lot more at night too. Seems people don't like a big truck with lights on riding close when they're in the left lane going the same speed as the traffic in the right lane!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes they do. Have a snow plow hangin on the front of your truck thru winter months, and watch them scurry.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 97madness
Yes they do. Have a snow plow hangin on the front of your truck thru winter months, and watch them scurry.
People around here aren't that smart. You'd have to leave tire marks on their hood or trunk before they understand that they are gonna lose.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Doesn't seem to affect the people here. I honestly just think they're careless/rude drivers in NW Arkansas, much like most of the people. I've had people start changing lanes right into me to where I had to slam the brakes multiple times this week. Most of the problem is little sorority girls in their BMWs and Mazdas that zip around in traffic or blow through traffic lights.

Get me back to Texas ASAP!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

+1

I believe most people pull up to an intersection and think they look to see "is something coming". Not really - they look to see "is something is coming that would hurt me if I pulled out in front of it".

You motorcycle riders understand. I have had people make eye contact with me and even give me that nod of recognition, then pull out right in front of my motorcycle. In all my years of driving a semi, I have never had that happen in a big truck.

Maybe this concept even extends to a shiny new Mercedes or a beat up old rusty Buick. Which one would you be more likely to park next to and which one would you just skip the spot and take the next available one?

I think there is a self-preservation instinct left that affects people's view of the world and F-150's definitely get respect that a little economy car just doesn't.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Mrs. W

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

haha when i'm driving my car i try to stay away from the bigger trucks. but if i'm in the F-150 i'm looking down at the little cars thinking i'm a beast. lol
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by larwood91
Doesn't seem to affect the people here. I honestly just think they're careless/rude drivers in NW Arkansas, much like most of the people. I've had people start changing lanes right into me to where I had to slam the brakes multiple times this week. Most of the problem is little sorority girls in their BMWs and Mazdas that zip around in traffic or blow through traffic lights.

Get me back to Texas ASAP!
Yall got some sucky, curvy hilly roads... I dunno how you do it....
And in Iowa, about every other vehicle is a truck. No special treatment. People don't back up for semis, slow down for tractors, or even follow the courtesy rules.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mwilco29
Is it just me or do others notice traffic has more "respect" for a truck than for a car on the roads? When I bought my F150 it was a switch from a sedan, and I notice without doubt that other vehicles on the road have vastly more respect, perhaps for the tonnage of the F150 than I saw in my car.

I just attribute it to the fear of an F150 ramming them versus a car!
Absolutely. I went from an '04 F-150 to a Sport Trac and noticed the lack of respect for a smaller vehicle. Now I'm back in an F-150 (should have never strayed in the first place!) and enjoy having that sense of respect from other vehicles back.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrais
People around here aren't that smart. You'd have to leave tire marks on their hood or trunk before they understand that they are gonna lose.
I'd say that's generally true where I live as well.

Although my wife drives a small car and she says people don't cut her off as much when she's driving the truck.

Quick Reply: "Respect" for the truck versus the car on the road