Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing 2015 Lariat Speakers--Need Advice From Gurus!

Old 08-13-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb Replacing 2015 Lariat Speakers--Need Advice From Gurus!

1st --- I'd Like to say "HOWDY" to everyone as this is my 1st thread on F150 Forum.

We just bought a 2015 Lariat F150 & so far i like it; my last 3 trucks have been Rams, so i'm looking forward to learning nuances of my new truck!
Wife & i are fairly up to date on cars, hers= '15 Taurus Ltd. ours= '14 Mustang Premium Pony & mine= '15 Lariat. So now we're an "ALL FORD" family !

To my ears the Lariat Premium sound system leaves a lot to be desired..
Wish the SuperCab had the Sony option, but heck that's a $6995 option.

Now to the area where i need others experience & some Help !!
Figure there's no way i'm changing out AM-FM head unit.
So i'm thinking of speakers, amplifier, & possible subwoofer combo !!

So Please feed this Old Bear some GOOD advice!
And Thanks for Reading '15 Lariat
Old 08-13-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by '15 Lariat
To my ears the Lariat Premium sound system leaves a lot to be desired..
Wish the SuperCab had the Sony option, but heck that's a $6995 option.
No you don't.......Sony audio leaves ALOT to be desired, so really you
came out waaaaaaay ahead here by not wasting the $$$ on that option.

Looks like there's no Kicker Soundgate option for 2015's yet......that's the route I'd suggest through Beau Rogel 1st because of the price, but might not fit 2015's.

If that doesn't work, sound quality and investment is really individuals tastes.
It's hard to suggest without knowing a budget, and musical tastes.

I would 1st start with an amplified 10" subwoofer designed for the truck
because that will add ALOT of depth to your soundfield that's missing.

Last edited by CreepinDeth; 08-13-2015 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
'15 Lariat (08-15-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

I changed out the door speakers with Kickers and installed a kicker Hideaway 8" sub in my 2014 Super crew and I love it. Never had a truck that sounded do good. The sub can get really loud if you want it to.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by CreepinDeth
No you don't.......Sony audio leaves ALOT to be desired, so really you
came out waaaaaaay ahead here by not wasting the $$$ on that option.

Looks like there's no Kicker Soundgate option for 2015's yet......that's the route I'd suggest through Beau Rogel 1st because of the price, but might not fit 2015's.

If that doesn't work, sound quality and investment is really individuals tastes.
It's hard to suggest without knowing a budget, and musical tastes.

I would 1st start with an amplified 10" subwoofer designed for the truck
because that will add ALOT of depth to your soundfield that's missing.

Thanks for the reply & also your opinion on the Sony sys in the Lariats.
I'd like to find a sys that has matching ohm ratings.

In the Ram that i traded off, i had Polks in the Dash & Front Doors plus Kicker 6x9's in the rear doors.. Sounded Great with a Rich Sound & Tone for me !! But i also had it running out of a Sony head unit to match ohm levels !!

You would think by now that companies would have speakers out for the '15 F-150's
I think the front doors are 6x9" & rear door are 6.5"
Since the Lariat has the Premium radio, i would think there would be more speakers than that !!

I read somewhere that Ford is using the Stereo sys to pipe in Engine noise.
I guess they want to make us feel like Ricky Racers.

I've got 1 more Stereo shop to check with, i may just have to be patient !!

Thanks for all replies guys !!
Old 08-15-2015, 02:29 AM

They're really doing it !

Along the way the 2.7's engine growl is satisfyingly powerful, with a faint overlay of wheeze from its two tiny turbochargers. There's precious little lag as they spin up thanks to ultra-short exhaust manifolds that are cast into the heads themselves.
The 3.5-liter Ecoboost V6 feels more potent in this lighter truck, but it also sounds more powerful than previous examples. From inside the cadence is that of a V8, which made us suspicious. Turns out the engine sound of both EcoBoost engines is being auto-tuned through the stereo speakers. Say what you will, but this fakery doesn't come across as fake.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting thread. I'm waiting to look into the 16 F150's with special edition package and wondered what kind of Audio quality I might expect. I have a BMW 3 series with Logic 7 system that I absolutely love. Between the quiet car, 2 small 8" subs under the seats and many speakers it's a great system. Was hoping the F 150's had good stock audio options as I don't like messing with the standard electronics in a car.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the ford kicker sub out of my 14 that it sounds like will fit in my 15 but I haven't had a chance to get out there and take a look. I'll try it tonight.

That said the easiest way to upgrade the 13/14s was the kicker package which including the DSP unit (an an amp I think?). Not sure if they're going to have it for the 15s or not. But the 2nd easiest route was a small amp behind the stereo (one of the little clarion or alpine class d 4x50) and new door speakers. The only catch here was a non-cutting of the factory harness issue, which I was able to go around in my 14 by using a parrot harness that was modified to use the amp. One end of the harness plugged into the factory HU and the other plugged into the factory plug with the amp wired into the middle. I ripped all this stuff out of my wrecked truck and I'm going to see if it will go into my 15.

But it is really frustrating that with all the awesome goodies on these trucks the stereo sounds like s^&t
Old 08-17-2015, 11:31 PM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by guitardto
Interesting thread. I'm waiting to look into the 16 F150's with special edition package and wondered what kind of Audio quality I might expect. I have a BMW 3 series with Logic 7 system that I absolutely love. Between the quiet car, 2 small 8" subs under the seats and many speakers it's a great system. Was hoping the F 150's had good stock audio options as I don't like messing with the standard electronics in a car.

Sound is subjective, so it's really impossible for anyone to tell you what YOU will think is righteous.

IF I ask my 76 year old grandfather, he would be astounded by today's systems. If I ask my 20 something year old cousin, he would say it's lacking.

IMHO you're far better off getting the basic system, and doing it all 100% yourself for less $$$ with a far better system. You will obviously need a subwoofer to add depth regardless of what you do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing 2015 Lariat Speakers--Need Advice From Gurus!