Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Headlight Scratches?

Old 08-10-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Removing Headlight Scratches?

My new(used) headlights have quite a few surface scratches. I've looked around for fixes...but most refer to cloudiness/yellowing. Just wondering if a restore kit (or toothpaste) is good for scratching or if using this will lead to the lights yellowing prematurely?
Old 08-10-2015, 05:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

They have a protective layer on them, as it wears off they turn yellow. Treated it now would accelerate that. If they scratches are that deep I would look for replacements
Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Depending on how deep the scratches are it may be better to get a new pair if it bothers you that much.

I have a 97 Dodge Caravan and have used Turtle Wax swirl removal, a light polish compound on them about once every two years for a while now. The lenses come out clear as a bell and no sign of yellowing or clouding. Don't have any scratches so can't help you with that part. The van has sat out in the California sun its entire life and has over 200K of road grim attacking the headlights. I should mention I also put wax with UV protection on at least twice a year.

Last edited by Alcoloco; 08-10-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:36 PM

I don't think they are deep at all...more like swirls. I'll check out the Turtle Wax swirl remover.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:32 PM

Any idea if regular car polish would work? I don't mind trying whatever, I just don't want to do damage to them. I don't think wet sanding/full restore is in order, I want to atleast minimize their appearance.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

I always start with a clay bar treatment just like you would with your paint. If that doesn't work then you step up the aggressiveness. Regular car polish won't hurt and might do the trick. If not, take the next step up.

As others have suggested if they are really deep replacements are best. If you do get them cleared up, make sure you follow the advice of keeping them waxed for protection.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've used the Commercial Headlight Polishing Kits for $20-.

I've switched to using 'Softscrub'-type Bathroom Cleanser. Tricks are to wet the Headlight Cover first. Use a damp Rag or Sponge. Make only linear, back & forth movements; always in the same direction. I go 'sideways'; parallel to the Ground. Don't make circular motions.

Rinse often, and repeat. This works only for removing yellowing, and cloudiness; not deep scratches. On a prior SUV, the Lamp Beam 'focus' returned to an amazing degree through a clear Headlight Cover. This is because a yellowed Cover diffuses the Beam path.

You can first try Compound 'x' of choice, and your Technique, on a side part of the Headlight Cover where it won't affect nighttime visibility.

Last edited by Engineer Guy; 08-11-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:13 PM

Thanks for all the responses...here's a couple pics of what the scratches look like.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:14 PM

Old 08-11-2015, 01:23 PM
All about PurPlazur

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

McGuires make a lens polishing kit or restoration kit http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...storation-kit/

Do it with a buffer yellow foam pad at low speed if you can. It will do a better job. And I mean low speed. Speed = heat and heat = melting plastic ....

Have fun

TC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Headlight Scratches?