Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing a bed liner badge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing a bed liner badge?

Hello,

My truck has a spray in bed liner put in a while ago (XTreme Liners) is the brand. The installer put a custom "badge" in the back of the liner with the installer's name, company and phone number and after peeling it back slightly to see what was under, there is a single strip of some kind of black silicone or adhesive. I'm not sure exactly what was used, but it seems to be VERY similar to the product used when they go to re-secure the piece that overlaps the bottom of your windshield when your windshield is replaced. I absolutely hate other people's branding on my vehicle and was wondering if anyone has had any luck removing such residue and or a badge from their truck. I don't want to pull the badge off (which I could easily) if I can't remove the black adhesive, but I also don't even want the badge on my truck...

Thank you.

Edit: Also should note I suspect the liner was sprayed into the truck first, then this badge was applied after. Because it seems to be held on with adhesive, I don't think the badge was placed on when the liner was sprayed in (making it permanent). This might be a nightmare to get off since I think the liner was put in about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago.

Last edited by RoadTrackRT; 02-06-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:35 AM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Most likely it's a double sided tape like 3-M. Your liner SHOULD be durable enough that you could use chemicals to remove the residue if necc. If it is a tape, you should be able to peel or "roll" it off with your fingers. Any left over residue can then be removed with something like Goof-Off!
If, for some reason, you can't get it all off, you can always paint the badge with something like, and don't laugh, Flex Seal. The texture will be close to that of the liner. Then just stick it back on with double sided tape.
I hope this helps! I kind of hate when they do that kind of stuff also!
​​​​​​​Mike
The following users liked this post:
RoadTrackRT (02-12-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Goo-gone won't hurt your liner.

Pull it off, hit the residue with goo gone, roll it off with your finger, rinse with water. Tada.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Talking

Originally Posted by elricfate

Pull it off, hit the residue with goo gone, roll it off with your finger, rinse with water. Tada.
I meant "Goo Gone! I think I'm getting old. The only real "Goof Off I know is me!
Old 02-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike from TN
I meant "Goo Gone! I think I'm getting old. The only real "Goof Off I know is me!
No no, sir, Goof Off is also a remover of stuff.

https://smile.amazon.com/Goof-Off-Mi.../dp/B001AHAN2M
Old 02-06-2018, 02:29 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Whew! Thought I was finally losing it!
I told my wife, if I ever lose my mind, just have the neighbor kid dig a big hole in the back yard then sneak up behind me with a big rock!!!!!
Old 02-06-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mike from TN
Most likely it's a double sided tape like 3-M. Your liner SHOULD be durable enough that you could use chemicals to remove the residue if necc. If it is a tape, you should be able to peel or "roll" it off with your fingers. Any left over residue can then be removed with something like Goof-Off!
If, for some reason, you can't get it all off, you can always paint the badge with something like, and don't laugh, Flex Seal. The texture will be close to that of the liner. Then just stick it back on with double sided tape.
I hope this helps! I kind of hate when they do that kind of stuff also!
Mike
Originally Posted by elricfate

​​​​​​

Thanks for the response guys. I scraped some off (as you can see here in the middle) and tried using Goo-Gone. It didn't work too well, this adhesive material is on the liner pretty well even where I tried to scrape it off. I'm afraid of scraping it off harder as I don't want to damage the liner. The Goo-Gone I'm using is "Automotive Goo-Gone" so I'm not sure if the original one has better strength or not. This automotive version is used to get things off of your vehicle's paint. Not sure if you're meant to do that with the original. Anyways, this is definitely frustrating.

Removing a bed liner badge?-vpued4g.jpg
Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

i can't completely tell but did it fill in the texture of the bed liner or did it peel into it?

i would try some heat and scrub brush at this point
Old 02-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
i can't completely tell but did it fill in the texture of the bed liner or did it peel into it?

i would try some heat and scrub brush at this point
It appears when they did this it filled into the texture of the bed liner. I don't think it peeled into it. The light color you see in the center of the stripe is not the liner but the actual adhesive (just thinner / thinned out from scraping it off). You can see on the outer parts it is the same color as well where the adhesive was thinner than the center. I'm sure glad the dealership badge they put on my truck's tailgate was attached with double-sided tape. If this is how they would have put it on there, I might've killed someone.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Did it look like 3-M tape when you took the badge off. I'm wondering if they used some kind of epoxy or something. How long has the liner been in the truck? I wouldn't panic. Even if you can't get it off and it damages the liner. It can be touched up. Have the shop that installed it take a look and repair as necc. Did they ask your permission to put an "advertisement" on your truck?

Quick Reply: Removing a bed liner badge?