Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Access Install Charge Reasonable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Access Install Charge Reasonable?

Hello,

I have a 2013 F-150 FX4 SCREW that I recently had Remote Access installed in. I was shocked by the cost of labour (4 hrs @ 149/hr) but I haven't raised this with the dealer yet because I didn't initially ask how much it would be (I assumed 1 - 2 hrs labour) and I didn't want to make a big fuss if I was in-fact charged a reasonable rate / it actually takes 4 hours to install this system. I also feel like I was charged more because their Parts department didn't quote the right parts and the tech may have spent more time troubleshooting because of this. I have attached a copy of the service report showing the tech's notes to backup my concern.

I'm hoping someone can understand the notes the tech made and either confirm the hours spent are reasonable (and that I should be on the hook for all of them) or if I was charged more because the parts dept and/or the tech didn't know what they were doing.

One additional bit of info that might help with this is that my truck came with remote start from the factory (one-way key fob system) and I had since had the 2-way plug & play system added/installed (that comes with the single fob & shock sensor, etc). Unfortunately I can't find the part number for the 2-way system. Also, the tech mentioned removing an old module, the part number on that is BB5J-19G367-AB.

I've been very happy with the service from this particular dealer in the past, but this last experience is making me feel a little uneasy.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Remote Access Install Charge Reasonable?-service_document.jpg  
Old 11-19-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Lesson here is to always get a written quote for any work - whether on your truck, car, appliance, house...

Looks outrageously high for labor and parts. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/remote...276740/index2/

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 11-19-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

What he said ^
Old 11-19-2015, 05:44 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Hope they used lube because thats gotta hurt. Looks like they ordered wrong parts or didnt order the right parts and then made you pay for their mistake for trouble-shooting. I just got remote start (one way system, Compustar CS800-S) installed on my 07 Expedition for $258 with lifetime warranty. I cant justify a difference of $750 over a dealer installed OEM system in this case.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, my **** hurts from just looking at that invoice.

I don't care how nice a "Remote Access System" is (not sure what it even really does other than start the car) but I'd settle for a one way remote start system a before I'd have to scream like a raped ape over that bill.

I installed my remote starter myself for a total cost of $200. It's fancy enough for me.

Post how this works out for you and what the dealer says.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

I ordered the remote (cellular) access system for my truck and installed the whole thing in about 20 minutes. It was completely plug and play; so easy I thought that there was no way it was going to work. All I needed the dealer to do was flash my ECU to accept the new security system.

- Parts cost me 459 bucks.
- Dealer charged me 89 to flash my ecu (and I had to explain to them how to do it).
- The cool thing about the cell phone access is that you can start your truck/turn it off/lock it/unlock it from anywhere. There's no range restriction. You could be across the country and start it from there.

- My truck didn't have any type of remote start/access previously.
- I ordered the kit in the link below and it came with 3 things to install. That's all you need to have cell phone access to the vehicle (start/stop/lock/unlock doors).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171523125889?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by discodave; 11-20-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by discodave
I ordered the remote (cellular) access system for my truck and installed the whole thing in about 20 minutes. It was completely plug and play; so easy I thought that there was no way it was going to work. All I needed the dealer to do was flash my ECU to accept the new security system.

- Parts cost me 459 bucks.
- Dealer charged me 89 to flash my ecu (and I had to explain to them how to do it).
- The cool thing about the cell phone access is that you can start your truck/turn it off/lock it/unlock it from anywhere. There's no range restriction. You could be across the country and start it from there.

- My truck didn't have any type of remote start/access previously.
- I ordered the kit in the link below and it came with 3 things to install. That's all you need to have cell phone access to the vehicle (start/stop/lock/unlock doors).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171523125889...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$550 is a much better price than the OP's cost. But still, I can't think of any reason I would ever need to start my car from across the world.

Sound like a very cool addition, but just not for me. I'm OK with remote starting my truck from a measly 1500ft. (mine claims 2500, but I haven't tested it that far yet)
Old 11-20-2015, 01:51 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Yeah, why the need to start your car from Syria? Unless you have a remote bomb in there that is triggered with the ignition.......
Old 11-20-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Summers22
Yeah, why the need to start your car from Syria? Unless you have a remote bomb in there that is triggered with the ignition.......

Dude, that's not funny.... (But I agree with you!)
Old 11-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Active Duty Navy Chief

Received 210 Likes on 170 Posts

It's just cool. No real need from that far away unless you were gone a while and wanted to unlock it for your wife or something. For me it wasn't much more than getting the other system where you'd have to get new keys cut. No additional keys needed for this one. It also has the security features where it'll notify you if your alarm is triggered for any reason.

Quick Reply: Remote Access Install Charge Reasonable?