Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a "Regular" rear axle on a 2012 a limit slip?

Old 10-28-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Is a "Regular" rear axle on a 2012 a limit slip?

I have a 2012 F150, XLT, 4x4 Supercrew with a 5.0L, regular rear axle. I looked up the VIN and confirmed it is a regular axle. I do not have a electronic rear locker on this truck.

I put both rear wheels on grass and floored it and both rear wheels spun at the same time, no traction control light came on nor any loss of power. I then put one rear wheel on grass and the other on gravel and again both wheels spun at the same time. I then put one wheel on dirt and the other on pavement on a large hill and the one wheel in the dirt spun, but the truck when up the hill no problem.

I was under the impression that a regular axle would only spin one tire and not both. Does anyone know if a limited slip axle is now the standard "Regular" axle on the 2012's? Thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

One Wheel Spin Control.

It's a function of the new traction control that will apply brakes to the spinning wheel on an open diff axle and make it act more like a limited slip.

Wears out your break pads unevenly though.

Read about it in your manual.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
One Wheel Spin Control.

It's a function of the new traction control that will apply brakes to the spinning wheel on an open diff axle and make it act more like a limited slip.

Read about it in your manual.
Thats crazy wow.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 AM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Yes, it's a limited slip system, but as stated it uses the ABS system to direct up to half the power at each axle to each wheel, so essentially, your truck is limited slip on the front and rear axle.

Key to making it work offroad is to turn off the traction control by holding down the button for five seconds. This turns off the throttle blipping that can cause you to get stuck offroad, and will allow both the left and right wheel to spin together when you need it, like in mud or deep sand.

I can tell you the system is very effective, and it makes these trucks hard to stick. With the right tires, you should feel very confident in your truck's abilities. I have driven mine through very deep sand and
some pretty good mud now, without really even feeling like I was challenging the abilities of this truck. I have the Michelin AT2s, and they perform pretty well.

If you have the Pirellis, you might have more difficulty, as it's a street tire.

As far as wearing the brakes unevenly, I don't about that, but time will tell. So far, no problems yet.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's a couple videos that show it working.

The following users liked this post:
screw2012 (11-08-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BassAckwards
You'ld have to do a LOT of wheel spinning to wear your brakes unevenly. Also your right side brakes will wear faster than your left anyway. Another easy way to tell if you have ltd slip or not is to lift the rear end off the ground, put the truck in neutral. Try spining a rear tire by hand. If the other tire spins in the same direction - you have ltd slip. If it spins the opposite direction you have a non ltd slip diff.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:52 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Well I didn't mean to insinuate that they will be horribly uneven, but I should have put a little more clarification.

Obviously because each brake can be controlled individually to compensate for a loss of traction at least one of the brakes will have more use on them then all of the others.

Now how much spinning would that take to be noticeable? A LOT!!

Is it really something to worry about? No, I was just stating a very tiny downside to the system that is inherent with the design, but it's nothing to worry about even if you do a pretty high to moderate amount of offroading.

Besides not many people just replace the pads in one caliper you either do the whole axle or the whole truck.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the information. Snow is just around the corner was getting worried about getting stuck. I don't do why Ford doesn't make it a standard feature to have electronic locking diff. When I purchased the truck I was told it had it but found out a week later after reading the Manuel it didn't and even more upset to find it has a standard axle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a "Regular" rear axle on a 2012 a limit slip?