Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recently bought a '97 creampuf with a sick engine--I couldn't help it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently bought a '97 creampuf with a sick engine--I couldn't help it!

Hi guys--I am a newbie with a recent aquisition, I really like the truck for a lot of reasons, but it has all the usual problems under the hood. It's a 4.2 V6 with 115K miles. I knew it was rattley from the start, but it was clean, good lookin, and I was pretty sure I could do something with the engine to make er healthy. Just today I went to a couple of knowlegable mechanics to get a bid on fixing my engine--both said they wouldn't touch it. Next I went to a couple of wrecking yards to see what a good used motor might cost--they were also pessimistic, saying there were no good engines west of the Mississippi. I find that hard to believe, but everyone around my town is bustin my chops for being fool enough to buy this lemon. Hmmmm.
Two years ago I owned a 97 F150 with the same engine and drove it around 30K miles without incident. It had close to 200K miles at the time, and I really liked the truck.
So I found this one, a real nice lookin one CHEAP, and bought it. Now I have negative guys messin with me, and I am wanting to get some other opinions about the worthiness of this deal.
Specifically, are the 4.2 engines really useless, unworthy of repair? I am hesitant to remove the engine in my driveway even though I have a cherry picker, chains, etc. My problem is my age (64) and no help--it will be just me.
The engine has 115K miles, it had a leaky intake man. gasket, the previous owner replaced it. It ran well for awhile, but then had some more leaks, so he put in all new gaskets from the block up. He struck me as a weak mechanic, but was willing to tackle the job, but he said shortly after getting it all back together the engine began making a clattering noise, (top end, sounds like to me) so he quit driving it then, and put er up for sale. I gave $500 for it because I was impressed with the overall great condition of it.
I am tempted to pull that engine out, once its on a engine stand it will be easy to disassemble, but there are lots of unknowns--I am not the most expert engine man in the world--my only previous experience came when I swapped motors on some early Mustangs years ago.
So I am asking for opinions about my situation--what would a knowlegeable guy do with this thing?
More info--its a 2WD, 5 spd,--absolutely stock. Suggestions?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:07 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

http://www.jasperengines.com/index.php
Old 08-07-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Typically I wouldn't post to this because I don' know squat about the engine, but he's a newby so I'll throw in my 2c...

Didn't that generation of engine have problems with the phasers? I believe the cheap fix was to lock the phasers out and then modify the computer so it wouldn't throw a code???
The following users liked this post:
biggyfries (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM

Appreciate the response--it sounds more like something in the valve train clattering at engine rpm, louder at idle, then getting slightly quieter as revs increase, around 1500-2000 rpm. Engine starts right up but the noise is such that I won't run it other than for analysis.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Try searching http://www.car-part.com/ if you want a complete engine.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You like the truck? It's in good condition other than the engine? What's a quality rebuilt engine cost? 4K? Is the truck worth 4500 to you? If yes then pull the old one a put a new one in.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Cord
Didn't that generation of engine have problems with the phasers? I believe the cheap fix was to lock the phasers out and then modify the computer so it wouldn't throw a code???
Um, no. 4.2 had problems with overheating and leaks for the most part. It's not a tivct engine. There was another thread recently where a person was rebuilding his 4.2. I'll have to see if I still have that thread saved. He bought all of his stuff from California I believe, but don't quote me on that.

For what it's worth, rebuilding that engine and getting a replacement will be a wash after you factor in the machine work to get the old block ready to go back together. If you're looking for a project to tinker on, rebuild it. If you need it to drive/haul, just get a Jasper engine with a warranty.

Some upgrades you might consider are the radiator, possibly an oil cooler, and check all of the wiring while the engine is out. I'd go with full synthetics for the oil, but that's a personal choice. Good luck with whichever direction you go with it.

It should be mentioned that you cannot change a 4.2 with any of the modular engines (5.4, 4.6). They are a different bolt patterns for the tranmission in case you didn't know.

EDIT** Here's the other thread. https://www.f150forum.com/f6/1997-f150-4-2l-engine-rebuild-307595/

Last edited by Manuellabour247; 08-07-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:30 PM

The problem is economics--if it ran great it would be hard to get more than $3000-3500 tops. I hate to spend 4000 or more to get a nice driver.
I am shocked at how prices have shot up in recent years--must the the "thriving economy"--around here there is little ''thriving" I assure you.
In years past I could find a good-running motor for under $500, and install it myself for under $100 and drive happy! See what I mean? Now I am contemplating just selling it cheap-cheap and cutting my losses (if any) --I should be able to squeeze $500 back out of it. I mean it looks REAL NICE--so nice I'm sad to contemplate just dumping it.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

www.lkq.com is another reliable source for used parts, complete engines, trannys etc... have used them many times over the years.

The 4.2 is just a 3.8 ohv engine bored for larger pistons, junk when it rolled off the assembly line. Which is why many mechanics won't touch it.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 02 with a 4.2 ,it has been a great truck,3.55 rearend ,I developed a intake leak and used some sealer that stopped it,166,000 trouble free miles,it was a lot cheaper than some of the other engines that cost way more to repair. bought it new and it will stay n the family. it will probaly be running when my 5.0 coyote bites the dust

Quick Reply: Recently bought a '97 creampuf with a sick engine--I couldn't help it!