General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Ended This Morning. Any advice is appreciated...2017 Lariat :/

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Ended This Morning. Any advice is appreciated...2017 Lariat :/

Sitting at a stop light this morning, and I get smacked...A high school kid, who the police officers assumed was texting or something, nailed the vehicle behind me who, in turn, hit me. The middle guy's air bag went off. Neither of his front doors would open. Both vehicles were small...Nissan Versa-ish vehicles. Honestly I dont remember what they were. Tow truck guy assumes both will be totaled.

Here is my main reason for posting this....This is a nice truck (for me) and I'm not super happy about having it go to the body shop for repairs. I just bought the truck in december. I just want to make sure i get aaaaall my bases covered when it comes to the repair job. I have zero experience when it comes to repairs on aluminum panels. I will try to post pictures later so y'all get a better look at it. But if anyone has anything specific that I should mention to insurance or the body shop or anything, I would greatly appreciate it. This isn't some plot to make money off the insurance man, but this is kinda a big deal to me. I worked and saved a long while to pay for the truck, so i'm pretty bummed about the incident.

The rear bumper and tail gate are trashed. The bumper was shoved into the right rear panel, smashing a decent hole and even tearing a small spot in the aluminum up next to the LED taillight. The tailgate will open a few inches before binding on the bumper, and pivoting up and out of the pivot on the right side. So I can still open the tailgate to get tools out of my Decked system, but the tailgate is a b*tch to get back in the pivot and close. I dont notice anything obvious on the left rear panel tho. I already have an appointment at both the Ford dealership here in town and Prices collision center next week. I will have an update then.

Again, thanks for any advice!!
Old 03-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Hire a third party adjuster, if you are that concerned and compare to other estimates.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Let it work itself out.

But really, all that and no pictures?
The following users liked this post:
gregsf150stx (03-06-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

After the repairs are complete, check into if your state has 'diminished value' allowances. Georgia does and it can potentially put quite a bit of money in your pocket. I have used it when an old man crashed into my Mustang GT convertible and when an old deer crashed into my Harley Davidson. The insurance company will usually start out trying to give you a measly diminished value check but it is very negotiable. You can use a 3rd party but the downside is that they may pocket much of the difference.
The following users liked this post:
TN_Ford_89 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

There is no reason to use a third-party adjuster. Call YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY immediately and have them handle the claim. The person who hit you is liable, whether it's the kid at the back or the car behind you, or both. As has been posted time after time, there is nothing special about repairing our trucks except a shop that knows how to repair them - many panels are simply removed and replaced, and need to be glued - but your dealership knows that and hopefully a collision center would know that.

You should also has noted ask for diminished value, because the accident will be noted and cut your selling value.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
KILOFINAL (03-03-2018), TN_Ford_89 (03-05-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

You, having no idea what you are talking about, should tell your experienced body man what to look for. He will love that and then try to do his best for you.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Also, don't post pictures and then ask - "What do you guys think this will amount to"? All the hidden damage can't be seen, let the appraiser and body shop figure it out.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Insurance companies usually have their preferred repair shops that they trust and have good experience with. They will guarantee the repairs for the life of the vehicle and use real replacement parts from Ford, You will be OK. Talk to your insurance company and your agent will take it from there. They will tell you where to go.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Sorry about your truck !
Share those pics when you can....
Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

We have always been allowed to pick which body shop we use here.

Quick Reply: Rear Ended This Morning. Any advice is appreciated...2017 Lariat :/