Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear backup camera stopped working, diagnosis complete?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 AM
New to F150s

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear backup camera stopped working, diagnosis complete?

Hey all,

Last week my tailgate/oval mounted camera on my 2011 F150 Lariat started to fail.

At first I got a bunch of horizontal lines on the rearview mirror display, then next it was a blue screen, and then black.

First thing I did was unplug the wire harness for the tailgate located at the underbody frame on the driver side. Unplugged, inspected, seemed fine (no dirt or corrosion), plugged back in.

Took apart the oval (damn those freaking clips on the oval cover that I read ahead of time *would* break), took the two 7mm's off holding the whole assembly in place, unplugged the harness, inspected, plugged back in as it was clean and corrosion free.

Found a circuit diagram through Google Images, which led me to the fusebox and that 10A fuse was good (which makes sense since the backup proximity sensors have worked just fine).

Got into the plug itself for the camera and verified that pin #1 (Violet/Brown) was getting 12v and Pin # 5 (Black/Green) was providing ground.

So my conclusion is: the camera assembly completely died (which i found out was part # BL3Z-19G490-B)

Anyone have anything else to add to diagnosis before I spend $100-$120 on a new part?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Rear backup camera stopped working, diagnosis complete?-f150_rear_camera_complete_circuit.png   Rear backup camera stopped working, diagnosis complete?-f150_rear_camera_plug_at_camera.jpg   Rear backup camera stopped working, diagnosis complete?-f150_rear_camera_12v_at_plug.jpg  
Old 08-20-2016, 12:58 PM
New to F150s

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to put this issue to rest in case anyone runs across this looking for help:

it was indeed the camera the died. picked up a new one off eBay (from a Ford dealer in MA) for $108 shipped and it works great
The following users liked this post:
afford (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question, I have power and ground at my camera plug, should I see another power wire at plug when put in reverse?
Old 02-19-2020, 11:47 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Afford, we need to know what truck you have. They differ. On mine the white was hot. The white brown was also supposed to be hot. It wasn't until I reversed the white wires up front where the damage was. My connector at the camera has six pins although only five are used and on the wiring diagram #6 is blocked out. Apparently if you your truck has the start stop feature and possibly the inverter it changes the wiring a bit. The two video lines aren't powered until the ignition is on the the white brown is energized. But again, there seems to be a bit of difference truck model/year to year. The camera on my truck was easy to access. remove 8 screws from the inside upper plate, remove it and the camera/harness was easily accessible if I removed two nuts which allowed the entire tailgate release assembly to pull out the rear of the tailgate. Other models have the camera built into the Ford oval. 1917
Old 09-08-2022, 08:26 PM

Directly related to this, does anyone know where the chassis ground for the camera is? My 2014 King Ranch SuperCrew EB camera randomly cycles between “Yay! It's working!” and the ubiquitous “Camera Unavailable” screen. I, too, have checked the wiring harness, both at the camera itself and inside the tailgate, and there was no corrosion. I blasted the connectors with contact cleaner nonetheless, but the last place to check for corrosion is where that harness connects to a chassis ground somewhere. I've read numerous posts that say a bad ground caused this exact same intermittence, but can't find any details on exactly where the other end of the ground is. I will love you forever if you can tell me right where to look.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:35 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Exclamation

cosnowbiker...
Welcome!

The thread is 2-years old and in the General F150 Discussion forum.

There are year specific forums which better serve non-general F-150 issues/topics.

» Late Model F150s ««« -click-
Also...

Consider putting your complete vehicle information (year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, mileage, maintenance, modifications, etc., etc.) in your signature to have it automagically included when you post. *Eliminates playing 20 questions when/if a future post is made pertaining to your vehicle.
» Edit Signature ««« -click-
*Don't forget to [ save ] it.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:09 PM

Done! Thanks. It's hard as a a noob to figure out which of the plethora of threads in which to post a question. I think I found the answer to my issue by examining one of the images in the post to which I replied.

Quick Reply: Rear backup camera stopped working, diagnosis complete?