General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really that bad or are people just unlucky

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it really that bad or are people just unlucky

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 Lariat. So I decided to look up the known issues on youtube and this forum.

I am looking at a v8, lariat with 502A , tow package six gears not 10. Its a beautiful truck. New.

I used to own an XLT many many years ago and it was a good truck but it didn't have any bells and whistles at all. No heated seats, no power seats, no Eco so really not much available to complain about.

Now when I read the message forums and watch the youtube videos, it seems as if the quality since I owned one has changed or at least as the trucks have been loaded up that the problems are many and serious. Are that many people having problems with the transmissions, dash warping, a/c seats heating up, leaks, engine issues etc. This CAN'T be true or this truck wouldn't see the sales volume that it sees.

If you aren't having any problems, I want to know. I want to read all the positives. Are all these negative reviews from the 1% of unlucky people buying the occasional lemon?
Old 10-15-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by chris85259
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a 2017 Lariat. So I decided to look up the known issues on youtube and this forum.

I am looking at a v8, lariat with 502A , tow package six gears not 10. Its a beautiful truck. New.

I used to own an XLT many many years ago and it was a good truck but it didn't have any bells and whistles at all. No heated seats, no power seats, no Eco so really not much available to complain about.

Now when I read the message forums and watch the youtube videos, it seems as if the quality since I owned one has changed or at least as the trucks have been loaded up that the problems are many and serious. Are that many people having problems with the transmissions, dash warping, a/c seats heating up, leaks, engine issues etc. This CAN'T be true or this truck wouldn't see the sales volume that it sees.

If you aren't having any problems, I want to know. I want to read all the positives. Are all these negative reviews from the 1% of unlucky people buying the occasional lemon?
Only issue I've had with my 13 XLT is the battery crapped out and the hvac smelled like a barn yard. Sprayed some Lysol into the air intake and cured the smell, wally world for the battery.

With that said my 4.5 year old truck only has 14000 miles on it. If you can afford to, I highly recommend a Ford extended warranty, it only takes one computer module to go bad to pay for itself and in my truck there are no less than 12. More bells and whistles = more computers.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

I see this come up all the time on various forums. People rarely make a post or video and just say everything is OK. There are even a couple of threads in the 2015 forum about people liking their trucks.

Last edited by dodgeman1; 10-15-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 262 Likes on 120 Posts

What you are seeing is a small sampling of issues, compared to the total volume of sales. Remember most people come on the forums or make YouTube videos to complain about there issues, very rarely do you have someone jump on social media and say everything is perfect no issues.

Cant say I haven't fallen into the first group myself, but most of what ever issues I have had are easily fixed.

By the way I really do enjoy my truck.

edit: dodgeman1 beat me to the response
Old 10-15-2017, 02:51 PM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

Read this thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f118/my-16...-great-382918/

I'd be all over! that '17 5.0/six-speed truck. A Lariat! even... That should prove to be a great rig.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

When compared to how many trucks Ford sells, the problems discussed here is a very small sampling. These these things we talk about are mechanica.....and built by humans. Both have a poor record of perfection.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:09 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,597 Likes on 6,203 Posts

Well if all 800,000 Ford F150's sold a year had major problems, do you think they would still be the #1 selling truck in America? Go and get the truck and enjoy it!
The following 4 users liked this post by Summers22:
BCMIF150 (10-16-2017), gamason (10-16-2017), SCrewYou (10-20-2017), speeddemon0712 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

what I have learned over the years searching Internet for troubles with things is you will always find someone that has troubles with something. AND more poeple will comment post places about a problem than they will for all being OK and working properly.

so the internet is filled with people that are having troubles looking for answers than not. So it makes it look like and you worry that what you are looking to buy is really not as good as you thought.........

just my opinion so now I take all that I find with a grain of salt.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Remember that, what you see here and on other forums are only the issues people are having & seeking advices to fix them...

It's comparable with the news media. You only get to see the negative.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll echo what others re saying, what you see here, other forums, YouTube, etc. is s sampling of issues amplified by the guise of be an anonymous mouth. What I'll call the armchair quarterback phenomenon going worldwide for any and every topic you can imagine. And some you can't.

If you look, you will find the same thing for every other brand in the market. All will have problems, most are not widespread. I firmly believe that overall the top 4 truck brands have vastly improved over the past several years. Competition is forcing them to do so. The downside is the prices are reaching incredibly stupid levels.

My 2004 Tritoon rig was really terrible compared to my 17. Only ~4500 miles so far, but it's been great.

And for the warranty, I chose to not add a warranty at time of purchase. As long as you get it before the standard factory warranty expoires you can add it if needed for significantly lower cost in most cases.

My only regret is that I got a bit caught up in the shopping and wanting to get it done that I missed a few things. I assumed a few features were standard between the XLT and the Lariat but I was wrong. In the end I probably would be happier with the tech of the Lariat but am more than satisfied with the XLT with 302a