General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to buy - need pricing/negotiation advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:18 PM

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Question Ready to buy - need pricing/negotiation advice

Sold my Highlander and ready to buy an F150.

I have 'built' out a nice Lariat with 502A and a few other bells and whistles and it is coming out at around $57k msrp.

A kind forum member had sent me a link to an extensive pricing thread about a month or so ago, and damn if I can find the link in my 'messages' section or in my email.... I tried using the forum 'search' function and came up empty handed too.... so must be using the wrong search query terms.

If someone could steer me to the 'pricing' topic link, I would appreciate it very much.

In general terms... am I out of my rocker in thinking I should draft up a 'form email'...... listing the specific build items and then asking for $10k off the sticker price.... and then send it out in a mass email to every Ford dealer within 120 miles of my residence? I was also going to state that I am basically taking a huge depreciation hit by ordering a 2018, since the 2019's are almost available.

Also, was going to tell them that I *could* get a GM equivalent with GM Employee/Family pricing.... but have also discovered that people are actually negotiating better pricing by NOT using their GM Employee benefit pricing.... so I KNOW there is money to be saved.

Should I include any incentives in the price I am requesting, or state that all incentives are to be added to the dealer discounted price I am seeking?

A forum member said I should expect to get about $8k max in Michigan, but again, I simply cannot find the thread....

Any advice on achieving the best negotiation outcome would be most appreciated.

Looking at the following as a CUSTOM ORDER (every Lariat on the lots seems to be ordered in with 'dual pane moon roof and 20" wheels and tires - - NEITHER OF WHAT I WANT):

* 2018 F150 Lariat
* SuperCrew
* 4X4
* 5 1/2 foot bed
* 5.0 V8 engine
* Magnetic Gray
* 502 A package
* Sport appearance package
* Trailer Tow Package
* Tailgate Step
* 3.55 rear axle ratio
* Trailer Brake Controller
* Technology Package

TOTAL MSRP = $56,940

Thanks!

Last edited by Joe Friday; 07-18-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:37 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Simply type:

site:www.f10forum.com SEARCH TERMS HERE

into Google.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/just-...95614/index79/

I personally think your strategy is ill-informed. You've been reading the forum for months, but you don't seem to get some basic concepts.

1) Why would a dealer give a rat's behind whether you are taking a depreciation hit by buying a 2018 at the end of the model year?

2) IMO, the amount of time and energy that people spend on buying a vehicle is mind blowing, and worse when you figure that most of them are clueless. Simply get Ford's X-Plan and be done. Best local dealer, X-Plan minus rebates and private cash, and place your order. You have spent months in your quest, I strongly recommend you get X-Plan and put yourself out of your misery.

3) Rebates are online at incentives.Ford.com. No need to ask anyone.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Friday (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

1) Don't buy the payment, buy the total amount.
2) Negotiate until the salesman or the sales director asks you to leave the dealership... That's my opinion. lol

Once you'll hear these words, try to throw in some extras such as oil changes, floor mats and etc. Also, make sure to read the sale contract thoroughly to make sure they're not hiding fees somewhere following your negotiations.

Oh and, I hope you'll like the Toyota to Ford jump. Get an extended warranty... Don't buy it from the dealership unless they cut at least half of the MSRP.
Joe Friday (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

I think this will be a tough road requesting pricing on a custom ordered truck. Most dealers want to move what inventory they have on their lots. That’s where a mass email might work - for a truck specified that is more likely to be in stock.

Around here car dealers are far and few between. My nearest Ford dealer is 35 miles away - the next one is 60 miles. With a custom order truck they won’t promise you anything other than what Ford incentives that are current when you take delivery.

And if looking for a Lariat - forget it. All I have seen on their lot this year so far are XLTs. And as of right now they have a grand total of 6 in stock.

I know.....that’s life in the boonies. I’m sure things are different in and around cities.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:10 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

Best thing to do is find one that is close to what you want on a lot and then negotiate. And it you can find one that has been there a while it is even easier, they are paying interest on the vehicle on the lot.
Joe Friday (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 PM

Ok, so I have a dealer (1st one I have contacted) that was willing to get me a total of $10,000 off...... about $4,000 of that was from the current rebate and Ford Financing incentive, and the other $6,000 from raw discount.

I pressed some more and he is willing to get me a few hundred more, which I will probably seek in accessories (wheel well liner). Seems like an overall decent deal??

I am going to check this against a few other dealers to make sure I am not leaving any significant money on the table.... and then will likely go with him.

PS - - his price was on a NEW 2018 LARIAT as specified above, and CUSTOM ORDERED into the dealership for me.

Taxes, License, is extra of course.

DOC fee would be an extra $210.

He also said he can guarantee the 2019's will be at least $3k more than the 2018's.

Last edited by Joe Friday; 07-18-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Horse, trough, drink...

Old 07-19-2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Horse, trough, drink...
How about a cogent response? Do you think $10,000 + is a reasonable deal off of msrp ?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 AM

Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

There is also something about service after the sale for me. I know this might not be the case in populated areas.

An example - I had an appointment with my dealer for an oil change / The Works package. We had stopped for lunch before our 12:30 appointment. Come out of the restaurant and my starter seemingly exploded when I went to start it. So I called the service guy. He went out of his way for us. He came over in his personal vehicle with a jump booster to see if he could get it started. When it wouldn't, he brought us back to the dealership. He then gave us a loaner car and made arrangements to have my truck towed to be fixed. The next afternoon my truck was fixed - brought the loaner car back and picked up my truck.

My point is - I did not buy my truck at this dealership. There were quite a few other things they did for me over the past couple years - I had been going there for my oil changes and repairs since I got sick and couldn't work on my truck anymore.

So trying to make a long story short - I didn't feel committed to buying my next truck there but was swayed to do so. They really took care of us that day - we would have been stranded 35 miles from home. We have nobody to call to give us a ride home.

Service after the sale. I just bought an off-lease 2015 Lariat from them. I negotiated like I usually do and came out with what I consider a "fair" deal. As long as the deal came within the financial parameters that I set for myself before starting the deal, I did not go shopping further.
Joe Friday (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Scoundrel

Received 154 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't have any negotiating advice as I always buy used which is a different ball game. But if the Lariat that you've specked out is the truck you want and the dealer near you is knocking $10k off, I would likely sign up. Its not always necessary to squeeze every nickle out of the seller. I've said this before.... you pay the money once, but you live with your purchase everyday after that.

Buy the truck you want and walk away with a smile. Good luck!

Rich J.
Joe Friday (07-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Ready to buy - need pricing/negotiation advice