Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quietest aftermarket muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Can't stand driving my truck anymore because of how loud it is, I have possibly the loudest configuration there is right now. 3in straight pipe turned out in front of the tires, the drone in the cab is unreal. Had it that way for probably a year now but I didn't drive my truck very much then, trying to start driving it more but I need to get the exhaust redone before I can really drive it regularly.
I want something very very quiet, almost stock, I'm still going to have it ran out the side so all I really need is a muffler, any suggestions? Looking through a jegs magazine I saw a hush power muffler from flow master and thought that might be what I want but after watching a few youtube videos they don't seem quiet at all. More like a resonator I think.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Flow master isn't known for quiet mufflers. I've had magnaflow in the past. Just a smooth deep rumble which sounded great on my dodge, not blaring at all.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by madeSICC
Can't stand driving my truck anymore because of how loud it is, I have possibly the loudest configuration there is right now. 3in straight pipe turned out in front of the tires, the drone in the cab is unreal. Had it that way for probably a year now but I didn't drive my truck very much then, trying to start driving it more but I need to get the exhaust redone before I can really drive it regularly.
I want something very very quiet, almost stock, I'm still going to have it ran out the side so all I really need is a muffler, any suggestions? Looking through a jegs magazine I saw a hush power muffler from flow master and thought that might be what I want but after watching a few youtube videos they don't seem quiet at all. More like a resonator I think.
Thanks
Look at the dynomax VT it is the quietest muffler I've seen or heard. Had it on my 5.4 and only when you really get into it is it any different than stock read up on it I think you will really like it. I think I got it for 89 bucks.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Corsa
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandicate
Flow master isn't known for quiet mufflers. I've had magnaflow in the past. Just a smooth deep rumble which sounded great on my dodge, not blaring at all.

Had a Magnaflow on a '04 Lightning (sorry I don't remember the style). It was mellow for approx. 1000 miles. As it went along it sounded more like a farmall tractor starting off. Sounded like . It did sound good at speed though. If I hadn't sold the truck, I was planning to remove it and throw it as far as I could into the woods.

OP, have you looked at the price of an original equipment muffler?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanted33
Had a Magnaflow on a '04 Lightning (sorry I don't remember the style). It was mellow for approx. 1000 miles. As it went along it sounded more like a farmall tractor starting off. Sounded like . It did sound good at speed though. If I hadn't sold the truck, I was planning to remove it and throw it as far as I could into the woods.

OP, have you looked at the price of an original equipment muffler?
I probably have the same one on my 2000 - it sounds horrible with Magnaflow High flow cats. It sounds like a log truck, and I get a sound like a wet towel flapping in the wind - haha.

OP - I would give Borla Pro XS a try I decided to give them a try over Magnaflow. I'm currently running a Dynomax Ultraflow si/so on the 2007, and it's pretty quiet - at cruising speeds I can hear the tires over the exhaust and there's no drone.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2007SCrew:
madeSICC (10-23-2012), Wanted33 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

you want quiet? O.E.M. or equivelent from walker or other O.E.M. supplyers
Old 10-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Had this SI/DO Magnaflow with the longest length 22" overall on my '04. I was commuting a hundred miles a day and really liked the sound on the highway. Deep but not annoying like the Flow 40 I had on before the Maggie. This was with the 5.4 3v engine.
The following users liked this post:
madeSICC (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanted33
in case you didnt know...

Wanted33 (10-24-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandicate
I'll second that. I love my Magnaflow. If the windows are up, I can't even hear it unless I get the RPM's up around 2K. At around 2500, it starts to get loud. For normal driving (unless you are a lead-foot) it is just a bit louder than stock.
madeSICC (10-23-2012)

Quick Reply: Quietest aftermarket muffler?