General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PRND21 needs adjusting

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PRND21 needs adjusting

My 97 150 shift selector was not lined up right when I bought it and so I have just accommodated it as a part of an aging vehicle. Now, I'm wondering, if I am just being lazy because it could be an easy fix. As it is, everything is off one notch----being in Park shows as R, Neutral shows as D, Drive is 2. Anyone ever have this problem? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Take the plastic shroud off that wraps around the column right behind the steering wheel, you will see a cable in a plastic tube with threads and a small wheel, turn that wheel to adjust.

The above is only if that tube has not broken, they are known for breaking.

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 PM

Any special knowledge required to remove the shroud? I don't like breaking things to fix something I can usually live with. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by BMaxey
Any special knowledge required to remove the shroud? I don't like breaking things to fix something I can usually live with. Thanks for your help.
There are three phillips screws holding the two halves together accessed from the bottom, if you look up with your head under the column with a flashlight you will see the holes where the screws are, (may be torx screws) no need to remove the ignition key tumbler, just take the top half off. And you will see the adjuster.

Oh and on the passenger side of the column slightly behind the dash panel you will see another screw holding the pieces together, that one can be a bit of a pain to get at.

Last edited by RLXXI; 07-19-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Prnd2

Thank you so much for the help. I have learned better than just get a screwdriver and starting prying and forcing things apart.

Quick Reply: PRND21 needs adjusting