Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstop Z23 vs Z36 truck and tow brake kits.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:14 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Powerstop Z23 vs Z36 truck and tow brake kits.

I went to the mountains last month and drove my truck since I had tons more cabin space and a huge trunk (6 1/2 ft bed with cover). Loved the power the truck had up there, but have decided to get a tuner before I go again next year. I also plan to upgrade my brakes as well.

Bought the truck used with 87K miles, and now have 102K in her. It's getting to be time to replace the brakes anyways, so why not upgrade. The 2 I have been looking at are:

Powerstop Z23 brake kit
https://www.carid.com/2008-ford-f-15...-62017011.html

and the Powerstop Z36 brake kit
https://www.carid.com/2008-ford-f-15...-62017026.html

Prices are pretty close. Looks like the main difference is the Z23 comes with ceramic pads, and the Z36 come with ceramic / carbon fiber pads.

Which of these would be better for me. I don't tow anything, and honestly don't load the truck down at all. I carry a lot of gear when I go hunting or to shooting competitions, but it doesn't weight much. Just want something that will stop a little better, faster. I did almost hit a few deer up there. I was able to stop, because I wasn't going very fast. But could easily have hit them if I hadn't been paying such close attention, or if had been darker out.

Edit: I'm also open to other brands, but would like to stay around the same price point. IE: don't want to drop $2-3K on a big brake kit like the Baer or Wilwood's.

Last edited by tuflehundon; 12-08-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 246 Likes on 196 Posts

there is another thread where a vendor stated the Z36 would have more dust and noise but be better for stopping if towing or hauling loads.
The following users liked this post:
tuflehundon (12-10-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:52 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Received 167 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by rsylvstr
there is another thread where a vendor stated the Z36 would have more dust and noise but be better for stopping if towing or hauling loads.
That's pretty accurate. They will definitely produce more dust, and will be more resistant to fading after a long down hill when carrying a trailer. The trade off is that they will not last as long, and they will have slightly worse performance when cold first thing in the morning. Definitely nothing dangerous, but this is the character of the pad.
The following 3 users liked this post by AutoAnything:
0488FB (12-17-2016), rsylvstr (12-09-2016), tuflehundon (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 07:47 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoAnything
That's pretty accurate. They will definitely produce more dust, and will be more resistant to fading after a long down hill when carrying a trailer. The trade off is that they will not last as long, and they will have slightly worse performance when cold first thing in the morning. Definitely nothing dangerous, but this is the character of the pad.
That's what I needed to know. Sounds like the Z23 is better for me then. Since I don't tow or carry heavy loads. Thanks.

Search this Thread