Sponsored by:

Power Steering Suddenly Dead

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:11 PM
MJF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Steering Suddenly Dead

Good evening,

I just parked my 2001 f150 5.4l lariat at the side of the street, wanted to start it again 5min later and the power steering doesn't work anymore. What could that be? Can anyone help me? Thank you so much.

Best,

Michael
Old 12-11-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

did you check your serpentine belt, power steering hose?
Old 12-11-2015, 09:27 PM
MJF

Originally Posted by crazyrwe
did you check your serpentine belt, power steering hose?
Thanks so much! The serpentine belt broke/ was ripped apart! How much is that to replace approximately? And can I do it without experience? Probably not right? And no driving atm? Thanks a lot
Old 12-11-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MJF
Thanks so much! The serpentine belt broke/ was ripped apart! How much is that to replace approximately? And can I do it without experience? Probably not right? And no driving atm? Thanks a lot
Belts are affordable and easy to replace. Belts are what $30-$40. Weave the belt in according to the sticker in the engine bay, then stick a half inch drive breaker bar in the socket on the belt tensioner. Loosen the tension and pull it over the alternator pulley. Done.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:24 PM
MJF

Thanks so much, guys! I'll handle it tomorrow! After how many miles is it normal for a belt to break?
Old 12-12-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Never normal to break. Depends on weather. But after like 5 years I would be keeping an eye out for cracks and chunks missing. Also inspect your pullys to make sure you don't damage new belt
Old 12-12-2015, 08:16 AM
MJF

Originally Posted by CollinM
Never normal to break. Depends on weather. But after like 5 years I would be keeping an eye out for cracks and chunks missing. Also inspect your pullys to make sure you don't damage new belt
CarFax shows that the last one was replaced 100,000 miles ago (at 140,000 miles). Recently, a mechanic detached the compressor since it wasn't working anymore and ever since there was a weird noise and from time to time a loud piping when I stopped the car, could that be related? Thanks for your inputs!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

When you say detatched, do you mean there is no compressor anymore? That would need a different size belt for sure. The pulley may have seized and snapped your belt. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that pulley works for your defrost as well.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:59 AM
MJF

Originally Posted by crazyrwe
When you say detatched, do you mean there is no compressor anymore? That would need a different size belt for sure. The pulley may have seized and snapped your belt. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that pulley works for your defrost as well.
I was just at the mechanic. The compressor was still there but somehow detached. Anyway, the pulley from the compressor locked. I have to get a new compressor, drier etc. for 1200$. At least the A/C will work again. Thanks for your inputs...
The following users liked this post:
fordmech604 (12-13-2015)

Quick Reply: Power Steering Suddenly Dead