General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power inverter

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power inverter

I have a 2011 EcoBoost and was wanting to install a 2500 watt power inverter. In my back seat. I would gladly welcome any comments or suggestions as far as what size wire to use, what size fuse, where to mount, if i need to install an additonal battery or not and wheather or not the stock altenator can keep up with it. Thanks -Addison
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

A lot will depend on what you want to power with it. Large inverters work best when close to the battery. The power loss with long wires is crazy. If you could mount a spare battery under the truck and run your wires just a couple feet to the inverter you'll get a lot more use out of it.

A simple battery switch with a 50amp breaker should be all you need to charge it. Use a breaker at both ends as a short at either end can cause problems.

Go to inverter r us.com and they'll have answers to a lot of your questions on what size wire to use among other things.
The following users liked this post:
aholzmeyer (01-21-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 06:33 AM
2018 F150 Platinum FX4

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by aholzmeyer
I have a 2011 EcoBoost and was wanting to install a 2500 watt power inverter. In my back seat. I would gladly welcome any comments or suggestions as far as what size wire to use, what size fuse, where to mount, if i need to install an additonal battery or not and wheather or not the stock altenator can keep up with it. Thanks -Addison
2500 inverter needs to be close to the battery as possible. I think you will need like 4 gage wire. Make sure everything is fused according to specs on the device.

What are you planning to run on this inverter?
aholzmeyer (01-21-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM
imp

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In order to supply 2500 watts to an inverter using a 12-Volt battery/alternator system, that supply system will need to be capable of delivering 208 amperes.

As you likely know, that would take a helluva alternator, driven by a mighty strong belt, and would gobble up about 3-1/2 horsepower, if everything were 100% efficient, which none of it is, of course.

Just food for thought. imp
aholzmeyer (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id mostly like to be able to charge cordless tool batteries on the job site but also be able to power corded tools if needed which shouldnt pull anymore than 15 amps. Where I would like to mount the inverter in the back seat would be about 10 feet from the trucks battery which seems to be too far. The manufacter sugguests #4 wire under 5 feet, but offers no segguestions to fuse size. I have also had trouble trying to find out what the stock alternator and battery on the truck would be able to handle. Again any comments or concerns are very welcome. Thanks -Addison
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about a little power generator such as a Honda. Portable, reliable, many uses.

Last edited by Don T Ask; 01-22-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 PM
imp

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aholzmeyer
Id mostly like to be able to charge cordless tool batteries on the job site but also be able to power corded tools if needed which shouldnt pull anymore than 15 amps. Where I would like to mount the inverter in the back seat would be about 10 feet from the trucks battery which seems to be too far. The manufacter sugguests #4 wire under 5 feet, but offers no segguestions to fuse size. I have also had trouble trying to find out what the stock alternator and battery on the truck would be able to handle. Again any comments or concerns are very welcome. Thanks -Addison
Drop your max. current requirement of 15 amps down to 10, for the sake of discussion, OK? 120 Volts times 10 amps = 1200 Watts. In order for the vehicle's electrical system (alternator, if engine running, battery if not), delivering 1200 Watts to the inverter will take 12 Volts times 100 amps., assuming 100% efficiency, more in reality.

IF your alternator can supply 100 amps., #4 wire would be the smallest I would use, #2 would be better. You'd need good terminals on the ends, preferably the solid brass/bronze ones with set-screw type clamps onto the wire. Copper wire, natch.

The portable gasoline powered generator begins to sound better, eh? imp
Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the post above, why not just get a generator and be done with it?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 AM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

An automobile is not a practical generator.

Quick Reply: power inverter