Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power increase from maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default power increase from maintenance

hey everyone.
Did some stuff to my truck today. 98 STX. 113,000 miles on it.
Switched out my fluid in M5OD. Went from Mercon 3 to Mercon V. Instant improvement in shift quality. Glad I went with the Mercon V. Almost feels like I put a new clutch in it with how smooth I can change gears now.

New battery terminals and Alternator. Truck has more power then when i bought it two years ago when it had 96k on it. Louder stereo, brighter lights, revs much faster.

I also put on a new smooth idler pulley. With the new tensioner and belt I recently installed the belt drive is extremely quiet.

I know it ain't much but thought I would share my good story and how the small changes made a big difference in the way my truck operates.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM

Here are some pics of what I did. Went with a brand new Ultima Alternator from O'reilly. Idler pulley is a Gates. Tensioner and Belt are Dayco. Battery terminals are just generic O'reilly ones.
Attached Thumbnails power increase from maintenance-dsc00069.jpg   power increase from maintenance-dsc00058.jpg   power increase from maintenance-dsc00059.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

It's always nice when the changes have the outcome you're hoping for. What symptoms were you having to know you needed a new alternator?
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
It's always nice when the changes have the outcome you're hoping for. What symptoms were you having to know you needed a new alternator?
I changed it because at high rpm the battery light would flash. It was also noisy when turning it and didn't seem the brushes were contacting as well as they should. It wasn't completely dead but it was on the last part of it's life.

Quick Reply: power increase from maintenance