Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Door Lock Failure

Old 05-31-2015, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Door Lock Failure

I just purchased a 1999 Ford F-150 Lariat with 64k original miles and a super clean CARFAX. The truck is in fantastic shape for it's age (more than I can say about myself). The only flaw is neither of the power door locks work. I mean not at all. No click or anything. The prior owner said "I just reach over and push them down". Yeah, that works, but I would like to use the key fob and have the power door locks actually work since the truck is in such good conditional every where else. What do you think is the problem and best way to fix it? Thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The door lock controls are famous for going bad. It is really a 2 minute fix, I have done it in the parking lot of the parts store. All you need is a flat head screwdriver or even a butter knife. Just pop the padded arm rest up where the control is. On the drivers side you probably have a cluster with the power window button. There is one or two plugs that just unplug, take the switch into the parts store and get a new one. I have had these trucks forever and the actuators do go bad, fortunately it is the easiest fix you will ever have.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axedaddy
The door lock controls are famous for going bad. It is really a 2 minute fix, I have done it in the parking lot of the parts store. All you need is a flat head screwdriver or even a butter knife. Just pop the padded arm rest up where the control is. On the drivers side you probably have a cluster with the power window button. There is one or two plugs that just unplug, take the switch into the parts store and get a new one. I have had these trucks forever and the actuators do go bad, fortunately it is the easiest fix you will ever have.

This^ Yep! Just replaced driver's side switch on a friend's F-150.Solved! don-ohio (:^)
Old 06-06-2015, 09:15 AM

Well, I bought the switch and installed it. It was very easy. However, the power door locks still don't work and of course I could not return the switch so I am out $70. What do you recommend next? Thanks
Old 06-06-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by paulnick9092
Well, I bought the switch and installed it. It was very easy. However, the power door locks still don't work and of course I could not return the switch so I am out $70. What do you recommend next? Thanks
I don't know, that always fixed mine. Fuse maybe?
Old 06-06-2015, 11:04 AM

I forgot to mention that I changed that too.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It could be a broken wire where they come into the door in the door jam. I've had that problem before. Check for power at the switch to prove it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Door Lock Failure