General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible f150 king ranch purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible f150 king ranch purchase

Looking at a 2010 king ranch with 76,000 miles on it. Dealer has it listed at $22,000. Truck looks to be in real good shape, and carmax looks clean as well.

It's listed as 2 owner, but the 2nd owner either didn't keep it very long or when it was sold, the dealer was listed as the owner.

Says 2 owner, corporate, personal.

Anyway, wondering if there should be any concerns with the mileage on the truck. I'm sure the engine is fine, but I'm curious if it's getting to the point where I would have to start putting money into it, things such as wheel bearings, wheel joints, transmission seals etc...or, are repairs on these trucks usually well into the 100,000 mile area?

Thank you for your time.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:18 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Assume it has a 5.4 ?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:42 AM
This Space For Rent

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an 08 KR, bought it with 8k on it and sold it with 165k on it. The only issue i had (besides general wear/tear items) was the brake light sensor thats on brake pedal. It started getting stuck and would leave the brake lights on all the time. Would have to monkey with it by hand to get the lights to go off. There are some youtube videos on this issue. Other than that it ran and drove great. Got a wild hair one day and just picked up my 14 XLT, but next one will be a KR...just damn hard to beat the comfort of those seats.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Price pretty high for an 8 year old vehicle even if it is top of the line trim IMO. You should be able to get a lot more bang for your buck at that price.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the responses. As far as the price, I've looked around and I've not found one in my area with a better price. Also, I don't know if it means anything, but KBB says this truck should sell for about $26,000. Of course, I don't know how reliable that is, as it seems apparently nobody uses their information, at least not any of the dealers I've been to.

speaking of which, what is it with dealers, and is there a way for us, the public, to know exactly how much our trade in vehicle should bring?

case in point, I bought a 2015 f150 xlt super cab new about 20 months ago. Financed amount was just over $30,000.

in the last 20 months, I've been putting an extra $50 - $100 per month on the principle. I now have it paid down to $22,000. When I attempt to trade it in, every dealer wants to give me between $23,000 and $24,000. INN says the trade in range is between 24k and 27k. I'm trying to get 25.5k and all dealers will not do that.

the truck is in New condition still, other than needing a wash, and only has 11700 miles. Obviously, every deal I tried that they give me that kind of price on my vehicle, I walk away. It's not that important for me to trade it off. Yeah, I'd like something a little nicer, with a crew cab, but I feel I've worked hard to pay this truck down, and I'm not jist going to give away all that work.

when you mention "well, kbb say..." to a dealer, they say " we don't go by kbb ". My question is, if nobody uses kbb, how is it they are even still around? Also, if nobody uses kbb, then what publication can we, as consumers, use to get real world value on a trade in?

most dealers say they use local market value,.of what that truck will bring in the local area. Thing is, a lot of dealers will buy a vehicle and then move it to another,.more profitable market, right?

Wish there was a concrete way of knowing exactly what a trade should bring before walking into a dealer, so we could know if the deal is fair or not.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Somewhat relevant question... Why are you trading down? In other words why are you going to an older vehicle with more miles than you still pretty much brand new 2015? When looking used you don't get near the trade allowance that you do when buying new either, which is probably part of the "low ball" amount you are getting on trade.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

Dealers won't give you as much for trade usually because they're at an advantage selling you a car and taking yours without many questions asked. Convenience and simplicity of the dealer results in less they will give you.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Dealers use a combination of tools for pricing. Tools we can not get our hands on unless we have dealer login credentials. I always use KBB and NADA. Dealers use a dealer form of NADA so they will still tell you it doesnt match. What you can do is tell them these are the tools you have available to get an idea of price. Then ask to see their print outs of what they book your vehicle at. Compare the two and try to meet in the middle somewhere. They have their tools you have yours. There usually some middle ground. Also watch their print outs, they tend to give you a price for say an XL model when you actually have a Lariat or higher. Also I know King Ranches hold a lot of value on that KR badge!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

most dealers use black book.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Most dealers use several different sources. They usually choose to show you the lowest trade in out of all their sources. My sources are my very close friend who has been the financial manager for several different large dealerships.