Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planned on F150... till the 2019 Rams came out... now rethinking doing the F150..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:18 AM

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Planned on F150... till the 2019 Rams came out... now rethinking doing the F150..

So, I planned on getting a new F150..... then the new 2019 Ram 1500 came out and I absolutely loved the interior and the ride is unmatched.

So..... have been planning on getting a Ram this summer.

But..... did a little internet research and it seems that the Hemi 5.7 litre engines are notorious for having a loud 'ticking' sound when started cold, or after sitting for an extended period of time. Most say the ticking goes away in seconds as the engine oil / engine starts to heat up and the oil gets pumped into the engine.... but I am OCD as hell and a perfectionist to boot..... so I can see that driving me bananas.

So.... thinking an F150 might be safer for reliability?

Any such 'ticking' issues with any of the ecoboosts???

I REALLY, really liked the ride quality of the Ram and the interior makes all other makes look 20 years old....but when the rubber hits the road, I am even more concerned about reliability, etc.

Thanks for all your helpful comments.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

the 5.7 Hemi is the least of your reliability worries when buying a first year Ram.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZacUSNYR:
chimmike (05-17-2018), idrive (05-17-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR
the 5.7 Hemi is the least of your reliability worries when buying a first year Ram.
Any insights on the F150 ecoboosts and 'ticking' issues? I just googled YouTube and it seems they have problems too....

What other issues might I be worried about with the 1st year Ram? Engine/Drivetrain is a carry over.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

I switched to Ford because of vibration and cylinder deactivation issues on a GMC Sierra. If the gas engines continue down this path, my next truck will have a diesel. I have owned one in the past and understand the complexity of operating a diesel, but not worth the headaches associated with gas engine vibration. The 2019 Ram beats everyone on interior quality, fit & finish and infotainment system.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

If you want a Fiat pickup truck, buy one. If you want what has consistently been the best-selling fullsize vehicle in the world for over 40 years made by a financially-stable company, there's only 1 choice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve83:
Summers22 (05-16-2018), wizwor (05-16-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 12:04 PM

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

The Hemi is reliable and stout. I have nearly 300k on one and just traded in another for the Ford that had 46k trouble free miles on it.

Eta: you can also manually disable the cylinder deactivation in the hemi, unlike the Chevy.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Friday (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by swampvol
The Hemi is reliable and stout. I have nearly 300k on one and just traded in another for the Ford that had 46k trouble free miles on it.

Eta: you can also manually disable the cylinder deactivation in the hemi, unlike the Chevy.
Thanks for the reply - I appreciate an objective opinion. I drove a 2019 with the Hemi and honest go goodness, could not even tell when cylinder deactivation was on or off.... seamless. I guess the pistons are still moving, just the valves are 'open' and no fuel goes to the cyclinder? Does that sound right?

In any event.... that sucker pushed me back in the seat. The 2.7 Ecoboost I drove went like a raped ape also..... just concerned about the possibility of the ticking issue in the Hemi. Maybe it is more of an annoyance than a mechanical worry.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

The newer one didnt have any noticable tick, but the '04 has had it since day one.
I only notice when next to a wall like a drive through with the windows down

I think some of the newer ones are having issues with manifold bolts loosening. They tick on start up until it warms up and seals the leak.
The following users liked this post:
Joe Friday (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Friday
Thanks for the reply - I appreciate an objective opinion. I drove a 2019 with the Hemi and honest go goodness, could not even tell when cylinder deactivation was on or off.... seamless. I guess the pistons are still moving, just the valves are 'open' and no fuel goes to the cyclinder? Does that sound right?

In any event.... that sucker pushed me back in the seat. The 2.7 Ecoboost I drove went like a raped ape also..... just concerned about the possibility of the ticking issue in the Hemi. Maybe it is more of an annoyance than a mechanical worry.
Actually the opposite, the valves are closed and no air goes in to the cylinder. The piston continues to move up and down with the trapped air like a spring, similar to the cams.

This way, you don't get the losses of having to pump air through the deactivated cylinders. More importantly, if you had cold air running through the deactivated cylinders with no fuel, you would need to burn additional fuel in the other cylinders to for emissions purposes. This would otherwise create lots of NOx. The main purpose of cutting off airflow to the cylinders (less air) is to allow the engine to use less fuel to maintain the AFR necessary to comply with emissions.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Friday
So, I planned on getting a new F150..... then the new 2019 Ram 1500 came out and I absolutely loved the interior and the ride is unmatched.

So..... have been planning on getting a Ram this summer.

But..... did a little internet research and it seems that the Hemi 5.7 litre engines are notorious for having a loud 'ticking' sound when started cold, or after sitting for an extended period of time. Most say the ticking goes away in seconds as the engine oil / engine starts to heat up and the oil gets pumped into the engine.... but I am OCD as hell and a perfectionist to boot..... so I can see that driving me bananas.

So.... thinking an F150 might be safer for reliability?

Any such 'ticking' issues with any of the ecoboosts???

I REALLY, really liked the ride quality of the Ram and the interior makes all other makes look 20 years old....but when the rubber hits the road, I am even more concerned about reliability, etc.

Thanks for all your helpful comments.
My parents have had I believe 3 Ram 2500's with Hemi's (going back to 2005). They now also have a 2015/2016? 1500 with a hemi.
My bro in law has a 1500 eco-diesel.

None have had significant engine issues, always been little things that have gone on them (covered by warranty). Both the 1500's have smooth rides.....but low payload ratings.

I would have no problem owning one if it had the payload ratings I needed.........but I am on 3 in a row F150's lol

Quick Reply: Planned on F150... till the 2019 Rams came out... now rethinking doing the F150..