Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parasitic Power Draw over 10 amps!!

Old 03-21-2019, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parasitic Power Draw over 10 amps!!

2013 F150, power draw from hell. Have pulled every fuse & relay with no luck, disconnected power wire to alternator & starter with no luck. Any ideas!? What else has constant power from the battery without going through fuse boxes?
Old 03-21-2019, 05:32 AM

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Is this gonna be one of those one off postings where the OP makes something up and is never to be heard from again ?

If you don't know what it is, how do you know it is drawing 10 amps ?

How is there a current draw with the battery disconnected ?

What does the alternator have to do with it ? Parasitic means when the vehicle is shut down.

Power is voltage. Current is amps.

Last edited by Old Grey Mule; 03-21-2019 at 05:34 AM. Reason: OP is a dumbbutt.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Old Grey Mule
Is this gonna be one of those one off postings where the OP makes something up and is never to be heard from again ?

If you don't know what it is, how do you know it is drawing 10 amps ?

How is there a current draw with the battery disconnected ?

What does the alternator have to do with it ? Parasitic means when the vehicle is shut down.

Power is voltage. Current is amps.
Makes something up?? No, it’s my brothers truck and I’m trying to solve his battery going dead. I know it’s over 10 amps as it blew the 10 amp fuse in multimeter when checking for how much draw the truck had. I’ve read any posts similar to mine and their problem was the alternator.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, if you disconnect the battery and put an Ohm meter between the hot and ground wires do you see low resistance? If so, obviously something is shorted and you'll just have to track it down.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by levathain

Makes something up?? No, it’s my brothers truck and I’m trying to solve his battery going dead. I know it’s over 10 amps as it blew the 10 amp fuse in multimeter when checking for how much draw the truck had. I’ve read any posts similar to mine and their problem was the alternator.
How did you connect the multimeter? To properly measure amperage draw the meter needs to be hooked up inline with the power wire. So you would have to disconnect your positive cable from the battery, take your black meter probe and put it on the positive post of the battery, then touch the red probe to the red battery cable. You should then be able to get a good accurate reading. If your meter cant read more than 10 amps without blowing the fuse then you need a better meter, but that's beside your point. You shouldn't be seeing 10 amps with the truck off. Also be sure you are selecting DC amps and not AC amps.

Last edited by dont slow down; 03-21-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Grrr
Well, if you disconnect the battery and put an Ohm meter between the hot and ground wires do you see low resistance? If so, obviously something is shorted and you'll just have to track it down.
Never test a circuit for resistance that still has voltage applied to it! You will never get an accurate reading that way. Also to properly test for resistance you need to isolate the circuit completely.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by dont slow down
How did you connect the multimeter? To properly measure amperage draw the meter needs to be hooked up inline with the power wire. So you would have to disconnect your positive cable from the battery, take your black meter probe and put it on the positive post of the battery, then touch the red probe to the red battery cable. You should then be able to get a good accurate reading. If your meter cant read more than 10 amps without blowing the fuse then you need a better meter, but that's beside your point. You shouldn't be seeing 10 amps with the truck off.
Trust me I connected the meter correctly and it blew 2 different multimeters and I also jumped a 10amp fuse by itself and it blew that. I know the truck shouldn’t be seeing such a large draw, that’s the problem.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:00 PM

Other than the dead battery is the truck operating normally? Are all systems working?
Old 03-21-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by dont slow down
Other than the dead battery is the truck operating normally? Are all systems working?
Seems to work fine, no issues besides battery dying.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:31 PM

Have you had the battery tested at an auto parts store?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parasitic Power Draw over 10 amps!!