General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Driveshaft and Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Driveshaft and Warranty

Forgive me if this has been answered, but a search did not return relevant results.

I am about to pick up my 2012 F150 from the dealership after having the driveshaft replaced. This presents an opportunity to address the maddening rust issue that I had with the first one. While I know the surface rust is not a problem in and of itself, the fact that the first driveshaft was depositing rusty liquid onto my stamped and stained concrete driveway is (live in a high humidity environment). Thus, I would like to paint the new one this weekend to keep this from happening again so that I can treat the driveway rust.

So, will painting the driveshaft void the warranty for that part in any way?

Am thinking about using POR-15 on it, but just may go the Rustoleum route.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Shouldn't void the warranty at all. I painted my rear axle and diff because I hate the surface rust look.
The following users liked this post:
CopanoJoker (07-26-2013)
Old 07-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macman12
Shouldn't void the warranty at all. I painted my rear axle and diff because I hate the surface rust look.
Thanks.

I spoke with the service folks and they said it shouldn't "as long as it doesn't unbalance the shaft". So rather vague really.

Was thinking about just coating it with Ospho. Do you or anyone else have experience with Ospho on a brand new driveshaft?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

I doubt painting would void your warranty as it wont affect the operation of your shaft. However are you sure moisture is from your drive shaft? Every time I start my truck i have moisture spots on my driveway from condensation dripping from my exhaust.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

shouldn't void the warranty. just put a light coat on it whatever you use to make sure not to throw it out of balance. Por 15 works awesome for rust. just be careful with it. If you get it on your skin, you have to "wear it" until it wears off!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

I did mine with POR-15 looks great it was easy to do while I was under there I did the rear axle, those are next to get rusty, then while installing my bilstains I did the entire front suspension its been a year and it all looks brand new.

Quick Reply: Painting Driveshaft and Warranty