Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overly Sensitive Steering 2019 F150 LARIAT SCREW 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Overly Sensitive Steering 2019 F150 LARIAT SCREW 4x4

This could be a misperception on my part but wanted opinions of other new truck owners. My 2019 F150 Lariat SCREW 4x4's steering seems way overly sensitive. The wheel will move with every slight grade variation in the road and it just makes it unpleasant to drive because you feel like you can't relax because you constantly have to be ready, unlike my 2010. Is this something I'll need to get used to and live with or has anyone else experienced the problem and had a fix? The truck has only 890 miles on it therefore it could totally be me needing to get used to a new vehicle. Thoughts? Thanks. Tractor Dr.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

its called drift/pull compensation. its normal

EPAS equipped vehicles have a Pull Drift Compensation (PDC) feature to assist drivers in compensating for variation in road and driving conditions. The feature adjusts power assist offset by reducing the steering wheel effort (input torque) required to keep the vehicle traveling straight. The Pull Drift Compensation (PDC) feature is automatically enabled at vehicle speeds above 40 km/h (25 mph) with sensors indicating the vehicle is traveling straight. Pull Drift Compensation (PDC) is designed to compensate for variations in road crown, the system detects input torque to the wheel by the driver to slowly ramp in a steering assist offset to neutralize, in most situations and within limits, steering efforts for the duration of time those driving conditions exist. Full compensation requires up to 45 seconds. Changing lanes on a multilane road and the expected change in road crown would trigger a change in torque input and a compensation adjustment, and is a normal operation of the Pull Drift Compensation (PDC) feature. The feature updates automatically and continuously, however, since it is based on input torque, the feature only works with hands on the steering wheel while driving in a straight line. The system does not compensate when turning or during slight curves on highways. The system does not compensate if driver input torque, steering wheel angle or vehicle yaw rate is too large. For the system to compensate, the driver must have both hands on the steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
Bubbabiker (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 08:13 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Took me a while to get used to the EPAS as well. You're used to hydraulic power steering assist as I was. Your new truck is electric/electronic power steering.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Have the front end alignment checked. I had a very slight toe-out causing the same thing.

Brad
Old 02-05-2019, 06:22 AM

Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Took me a while to get used to the EPAS as well. You're used to hydraulic power steering assist as I was. Your new truck is electric/electronic power steering.
Same here. The first couple days it was like I was all over the road between the lines. But once used to it it's like a dream come true compared to my '09 with hydraulic steering.

The roads around here are terrible - some places crowned too much - others crowned the wrong way. With the old truck it was a constant battle with the steering wheel. With the EPAS it's a true pleasure to drive. I have a nasty case of RA - after driving my old truck my elbows would be killing me just from steering the truck. Not anymore. This was one huge surprise that I didn't know anything about when I upgraded.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Have the front end alignment checked. I had a very slight toe-out causing the same thing.

This is true I have had more than one new vehicle that the front end was out of wack right from the factory.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Alignment is always a suspect, but try fiddling with tire pressure a bit. Some have reported "issues" at 40PSI that disappear at 35PSI. (If your have P tires). If you have the LT "C" tires, you might still try pressure changes.

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2019, 11:04 PM
Hfahb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update

Hi, I’m just wondering if you had success in resolving the issue? I have a 2019 F150 w/ Sport package inc 20” rims and feel like I’m having the same issue. Have had the alignment checked and they report it is within spec and road test didn’t show anything out of normal (from their opinion in a 4 minute drive around the block). From my perspective, I am noticing the wheel resets slightly to the left of centre and on a flat road (with no crown), the truck pulls very gently to the left. I’m uncertain how to proceed as I think I need to push the issue and go out with them on a drive. Would love to hear any feedback if anyone has experience similar to this.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by HfahbF150
Hi, I’m just wondering if you had success in resolving the issue? I have a 2019 F150 w/ Sport package inc 20” rims and feel like I’m having the same issue. Have had the alignment checked and they report it is within spec and road test didn’t show anything out of normal (from their opinion in a 4 minute drive around the block). From my perspective, I am noticing the wheel resets slightly to the left of centre and on a flat road (with no crown), the truck pulls very gently to the left. I’m uncertain how to proceed as I think I need to push the issue and go out with them on a drive. Would love to hear any feedback if anyone has experience similar to this.

Thanks!
Search my posts regarding this issue on my 2018. I have detailed my concerns / remedies to date in several different threads. A dealer visit and verification is your first step. They probably will want to say the alignment as it's easy to get Ford to cover it and you are allowed one within the first 12.000 miles. I caution that you take it to a known reputable alignment shop. I found found dealer techs may be trained to use the equipment but don't know how to properly do an alignment. Just because all numbers are in the "green" doesn't mean the vehicle will steer correctly.
This has been an issue Ford is aware of since EPAS was implemented.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2016-...7589-a-429311/
Old 08-18-2019, 11:23 AM
Hfahb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
Search my posts regarding this issue on my 2018. I have detailed my concerns / remedies to date in several different threads. A dealer visit and verification is your first step. They probably will want to say the alignment as it's easy to get Ford to cover it and you are allowed one within the first 12.000 miles. I caution that you take it to a known reputable alignment shop. I found found dealer techs may be trained to use the equipment but don't know how to properly do an alignment. Just because all numbers are in the "green" doesn't mean the vehicle will steer correctly.
This has been an issue Ford is aware of since EPAS was implemented.
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2016-...7589-a-429311/
Thank you for sharing this info! It definitely sounds like I’ll need to follow up with the dealer and perhaps provide some insight through these threads. Unfortunate that it doesn’t seem there is a clear or precise fix, as far as I can tell. There is some optimism around replacing the EPAS or steering rack, so I’ll see what I can accomplish if they are willing to go this route.

Quick Reply: Overly Sensitive Steering 2019 F150 LARIAT SCREW 4x4